Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can glue frames faster than I can nail them.

Is it safe (for the bees) to do this? I use only a small amount of glue for each joint.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can't reply from experience, only from what I've read (and that's quite a lot). I ended up gluing AND nailing. The word is that frames suffer from abuse: having to pry them out after propolis and bridge comb effectively glue the frames to the hive body. They're prone to failure if it's not a VERY solid connection.
I used Titebond II on mine - waterproof and very effective from all my other woodworking projects. Haven't read anything anywhere cautioning away from any Titebond product. All Titebond water-based wood glues are considered non-toxic.

·
Registered
508 Posts
That's good to know. In my testing, I've often found to be TB3 stronger than the wood it holds..

If there's no known caveats, that's good enough for me... I should get a brad nailer eventually, though.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Can you recommend a model/size of stapler that worked for you?
I use a crown stapler 1/4" X 1" for frames with
Titebond II. If you're doing a lot of frames (100's)
then get a decent one like Paslode. If just doing a
few frames a hammer and nail works fine.

As to your question regarding safe for food contact??
That is a good one and as of yet...... unanswered.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Over this past weekend, I bought the cheap Lowes 99 buck special, Porter Cable 2 gal. compressor and a brad/staple gun. I cut and assembled about a hundred frames, 7 sbb and 7 inner covers, 7 outer covers. I also used it to build a frame assembly jig which lets me glue and nail 10 frames in just a couple of minutes.

This cheap set won't last forever of course but if it dies tomorrow, it has already paid for itself in the time saved.

(I'm using regular old Titebond glue (with no number) since Lowes had it on sale a couple years ago for next to nothing so I bought gallons of it.)

Wayne

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I have the same stapler Sponge and love it. If you are gonna stay in bee keeping might as well get a decent one. I'm sure harbor frieghts are fine. I have some of there tools also. I got tired of nailing frames real quick. It don't take long to need a bunch of frames. Plus I like to use it to help hold hive bodies together before I put a few screws in them.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I also use TB3 and 1/4 in crown staples. IMO just gluing them is a mistake, I would glue plus staple or nail them, over time the prying and twisting will work against the glue.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
TB2 is usually cheaper than 3, and for bee purposes does just as good a job. Also, glue and nail. The crown staples work much better than nails, as they don't pull thru like nails do. Also i assume you're using a frame nailing jig? An excellent time saver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts