Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be good to have a thread dedicated to any tips or tricks you have learned over the years that may be of benefit to someone else. I am sure some of you have done things outside the box in the past that have worked for you. Maybe you would be willing to share and if so here is a good place to put it out there.
I have only been into this for one year so my knowledge base is not that great but I found one thing that is working for me and I have not heard of anyone else doing it. I have a bunch of boardman feeders that I do not use because I prefer my hivetop feeders. A few weeks ago I was trying to come up with a good way to provide water for the girls and it dawned on me that the boardman feeders may make good water holders with none of the problems they have when using syrup. I have had them on the hives for a week and a half and they appear to be working very well.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
This may sound kinda dumb and cheesy, but learn the temperment of your colonies. Not everyone can do that based on size, but with my 10, i know when to work each one and when not to. Amazing how different they are.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
not to stifle inquiry, conversation and sharing, but isn't that what all of the forums, threads and replys are all about? tips? answers to question to see how things are done by others and sharing of variations.

TIP: Learn as much as you can about bee biology and colony make up and life. Life of individual bees, the castes, and life of the colony.

TIP: Learn all you can about healthy bees and their pests, predators and diseases. Actually there is a good book called just that. "Pests, Predators and Diseaeses of Honeybees"

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not to stifle inquiry, conversation and sharing, but isn't that what all of the forums, threads and replys are all about? tips? answers to question to see how things are done by others and sharing of variations.
Yes it is but what I am looking for is not something most people put out there. I should have been more descriptive. I am looking for ideas that are not normally done. Things that you have learned and to the best of your knowledge no one else is doing it. Gadgets, procedures that are unique to you. And so on.

I think these things are not normally discussed elsewhere in this forum and I was just trying to get people to release some ideas they had. maybe they did not want to post it because they thought the idea was not worthy, or maybe they just don't want to give something away. Who knows.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i learned how to do something new just the other day on BEESOURCE -use window screen as an entrance reducer and no worries about reduced ventalation. i cut some metal screening the other day and put it under one of the bricks holding down a top cover so it would be right in the bee yard when needed.
good luck,mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts