Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After last year saga of dead outs (lost 16 out of 17), I over wintered a 5 frame nuc that was headed up by a B Weaver queen. She is small and black but the hive is already building up nicely. I checked a couple of weeks ago and found 3 frames with brood. The over winter cluster was not huge, but it was enough for her to get started laying. Anyway, quite a bit of brood has hatched and she has laid larger patterns. The outside two frames were full of pollen and honey. I added another 5 frame deep last Wednesday Feb 19. I sprayed the frames with sugar water to encourage them to go up.

The claim on the Texas bees are that they are a mix of 4 different bees. Two of the three that I ordered died along with the rest of the Italians that I had. Maybe this line is going to be a good one and I can build from her. I will probably try to order a couple more Texas queens this spring (to Avoid the high summer shipping cost). I hope I can rebuild the yard with just one queen and some wild or Local Drones.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts