Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recovered the last of the bees from the late swarm I got last Sunday. The original swarm is making brood and doing quite well, and I added a frame of stores and nurse bees today to help them along. However, the small clump of bees that refused to enter the nuc box last Sunday was still hanging on the bush today, so the homeowner called again and asked if I would come get them, one of her boys is very allergic and she didn't want to just spray them.

I took another nuc down and collected something like 50 bees, but they act like they have a queen, they were clustered tightly just where they were a week ago, and have been foraging and returning to that spot the whole time. I clipped the twig and moved it to the box without shaking them loose, and they all moved in by dark (I tempted them a bit by filling some cells on an old comb with honey).

So now what do I do with what I assume is a virgin queen and 50 bees? I'd like to make a split and use the queen, but what is the best way to get them to accept her? My brother has a Russian hive in the process of re-queening (he's very rough when moving frames, likely he killed the queen last time he was in there a little over a week ago). They act queenless, roaring and "flowing" over the boxes and require quite a bit more smoke than usual. I can swipe a couple frames of emerging brood, but I suspect I'll need to be careful about just dumping them in with my tiny swarm!

I do have a cage, so it's possible I can cage here and stop up the candy hole (or make some candy with powdered sugar) and do a normal introduction to a split, or I guess I could just do a newspaper combine between the nuc boxes.

Any suggestions? I'm fairly certain she's doomed if I cannot get a decent number of bees with her.

Peter

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Take the two frames of emerging brood you speak of and a frame of nectar/honey and pollen. Remove all the bees and put your tiny swarm and virgin on those frames. The emerging bees will love that virgin like they have known her their whole lives!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts