Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to let people taste honey before they buy it, at Arts and Crafts Shows or Demonstrations. I have seen some really small spoons used by Baskin Robbins, which I imagine that BR have produced for their own use. Does anyone know where I can get these spoons or something like them. One eigth teaspoon size maybe?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
cant help with the spoons, but toothpicks work well.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, but I don't want people dipping into the jar, I want to put a drop on their spoon. I think that that would be somewhat more sanitary.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I couldn't find spoons locally, so I picked up popsicle sticks. Let them dip it once.

Have you tried contacting local kitchen/restaurant supply stores? Visit some ice cream shops (other than BR) and find out where they're getting their spoons?

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
819 Posts
Put your taste test honey in a honey bear and there will be no double dipping, double squirting maybe;)

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I like beecurious' info and will check them out. Also I will go to my local/only rest. that makes sorbet. They may have them or know where to get tem.

I used a honey bear yesterday at the Craft Show, but some people really cringed at the idea of using their finger, especially after theyhad just left the Alpaca display.

Funny thing is that a woman whose hands looked like she had just left the blacksmith's shop w/out washing wanted the honey right on her dirty finger. "Everybody should eat a little dirt every now and then.", she said.

Thanks again.
sqkcrk

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I would much prefer small wooden popsicle sticks to plastic spoons. I hate those plastic taste spoon at ice cream places....they all wind up in the landfill. :(
Or how about a little pretzel stick as a taster stick?

Personally, I wouldn't let folks do their own dipping or bear squirting- I can only imagine the mess that some will make dripping honey everywhere and licking stuff. In ice cream places the employees dips the little taster spoon for you behind the counter and then hands it to you. No chance of unsanitary double-dipping or wiping drips off the honeybear tip and then licking fingers then going back for more....eeeew!

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All good ideas, especially about plastics and landfills. I was planning on using them over and over again. after washing them of course.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
A squirt of honey on a saltine cracker makes a quick snack. Saltine crackers would work good for taste testing honey, and they are cheap and easy to get.

You can always give folks an option too...crackers or a popsickle stick or spoon. See what people go for. If you can get them to taste it, you can get them to buy it.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I never could find the little spoons so I buy the regular size plastic spoons at "CostCo" 500 for 8 bux, when we sell a "Honey Cup" at the fair we give them a spoon with it.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I wouldn't care for the texture of a wooden spoon. The smoothness of the honey would be diminished by the wooden "spoon". IMO

There is also the taste of the wood...

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
We offer two ways to taste honey. Our main way is with pretzel sticks. Why pretzel sticks? Because they are sustainable and their is no waste. Some people have wheat or gluten allergies and then that is when we use the little plastic spoons. We can find cases of them at any restaurant supply store like cash and carry or another restaurant supply store. Costco might have them too.

On a side note, you physically giving out samples to the customers is time consuming and not very practical. We are currently in 24 farmers markets a week and with the lines and crowds at our booth, it is impossible to hand out samples. We simply have our tasters out in nice jars. Yes, you have to monitor double dipping (which is easy) but when your at the market, you are there to sell and educate to a large amount of people in a short time. When you have 8 different honeys to hand out to one person, it is not practical.

Check this out:

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs059/1102637029445/archive/1103446278905.html (scroll down to the pretzel article)

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree and understand about what you are saying about tasting and time consumption. I went to my second Show to sell honey and I didn't sell any for the first hour and a half. Then I got agressive and got out from behind my table and offered folks a taste. That's when the sales started happening.

I value your advice and experience.
As i do all that have participated herein.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Well our wonderful state of Indiana has a new law No open containers :(

1 - 20 of 46 Posts