Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to be sure I'm not missing something. One of the hives I opened yesterday had a small percent of half sized bees. I can't find a disease that causes this. Is there something I'm missing? Did they just happen to be from tiny cells? I'm on natural comb.

·
Registered
262 Posts
May have been a polin/protein shortage. That will cause undersized bees. The most common culprit is several days of rain/cold in a row.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. It is one of my nucs, so a protein shortage make sense. They don't have much in storage.
*note to self, patties more often

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MJC, no wing issues, just tiny

Michael, My bees are usually smaller than the other local guys who are on plastic foundation. However, these girls are half that size. Some super tiny cells were a thought. However, the pollen shortage suggestion is possible. It is a young nuc and accidentally got skipped for pollen sub for a week. Do you tend to find a large variety of worker sizes in your hives?

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
B481F1A5-69CB-43E0-B228-06A2974B93E9.jpeg I have seen the “mini” bee here also; I don’t think it is apis mellifera though. I’m not sure but the relation of the egg size the queen lays to this tiny bee size doesn’t work, but I’m not sure.
I think I’ll ask Rusty Burlew of Honey Bee Suite about this, she knows pollinators. I know that you can tell the difference between a fly or another type of bee by their wings.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
View attachment 48949 I have seen the “mini” bee here also; I don’t think it is apis mellifera though. I’m not sure but the relation of the egg size the queen lays to this tiny bee size doesn’t work, but I’m not sure.
I think I’ll ask Rusty Burlew of Honey Bee Suite about this, she knows pollinators. I know that you can tell the difference between a fly or another type of bee by their wings.
The ones I'm asking about were inside the hive.

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
Right, that’s why I mentioned the size of an egg in relation to the size of the tiny “bee”. I have found other “pollinators” in my hives, but not too often.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts