Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you know when its time to do a split...I mean nectar flow? Pollen? Temp? I have a hive that's strong enough just not sure when to do it...thanks for any help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,542 Posts
When the weather trend is good and you have all of the right parts. Splits are being made here in SC right now. Colonies ready for splitting have frames of honey, frames of capped and open brood, w/ pollen coming in as well as nectar.

In what part of VA is Amherst? Tidewater VA aught to be making splits now or soon. Farther up country later.

Do you have queens coming or will you let them raise their own?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in central Virginia between Charlottesville and Lynchburg. We have pollen coming in when weather permits...70s one day snow the next. Calling for a possible winter mix next Tuesday! The queen is laying. Haven't seen any drones yet. Saw the first ornamental cherry tree blooming today...daffodils are popping up (no dandelions yet). I'm planning on letting them make the queen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,196 Posts
I would wait until you have drone brood with purple eyes up to emerging before I split. They won't swarm til then and the colony is expanding faster than the splits will. It is hard to wait for me but splitting early works just often enough to encourage my impatience. No question for me yet. 8F forecast for tonights low.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Hey Wendy
Sounds like your girls made it thru the winter. Congratulations.

I personally don't split until the blackberries bloom where I am. In the past I've split earlier several times but they all failed before fall.

That's pushing swarm time pretty hard so I try to keep the brood nest open until then.
Woody
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
I am in central Virginia between Charlottesville and Lynchburg. We have pollen coming in when weather permits...70s one day snow the next. Calling for a possible winter mix next Tuesday! The queen is laying. Haven't seen any drones yet. Saw the first ornamental cherry tree blooming today...daffodils are popping up (no dandelions yet). I'm planning on letting them make the queen.
Same here. My one remaining colony is quite strong. I have a deep that is full of bees. On top of it is a medium that has fully drawn but mostly empty comb. There is some pollen stored, and when the weather permits I put some 1:1 sugar water on, some of which the girls are storing. By the end of this month I suspect that both boxes will be full of bees, but until the first week of April, the weather will be cold enough to keep the girls inside most days.

I am not thinking of a split, but of putting another deep with drawn comb frames from a dead-out. I will likely do that tomorrow or Saturday, weather permitting. I imagine I will splitting sometime in April, after I see some drones.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top