Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in Sept. I put Apistan in my 2 hives to deal with an escalating mite problem. (over 100 mites over 24 hrs. in each hive, sticky board under screened bottom boards) The Apistan seemed to be doing the trick until after 2 brood cycles (42 days) I noticed that the 24 hr. mite count was staying around 80, after dropping down from over 1000 when I first put the strips in. I called our county inspector and he told me it appears I have developed some mites that are resistant to the Apistan. He recommended I switch to another miticide. I had Check-Mite on hand, so I removed the Apistan and put in the Check-Mite. That was on Nov. 25 (20 days ago). The first day after Check-Mite, I had a drop of approx. 300 mites in 24 hrs. per hive. A couple of days later, 150, a couple days later, 80 in one 70 in the other. On 12/14 I had only 5 mites in one hive and 8 in the other. It appears that the Check-Mite is doing the job.
Here's the question: Should I go ahead and remove the strips this week (assuming my mite count by Friday is zero), or risk waiting longer (to catch another brood cycle) when the temps. may be well under 50 degrees for a long time. I know I can't leave them on longer than 42 days. On 12/18 it should be warm enough to remove the strips. Also, I'll be away from 12/19 through 12/28, so can't remove the strips until I return home. Is it safe to remove the strips as long as I'm not seeing any mites drop?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Greetings 2hives

Here, "Strips" of any kind, is a bad word!

It is my guess (Im not sure), that removing _ _ _ _ s of any kind, early (before end of treatment period) would be OK.

------------------
Dave W . . .

Hobbyist - 1 Hive
First Package - Apr 03
Broodnest - 3 Deeps
Screened Bottom Board
Apistan - Aug 18, 03
Grease Patties - All year
2003/04 Winter Loss - 0%
See Forum1/HTML/001304, for ongoing mite counts.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Apistan instructions say that they may be use for 7 days, 42, 43, 44, 45, upto 56 days.
Why would it be a problem to remove them, say at day 15, 20, 30 or 35 or any time LESS than the maxium?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Apistan instructions say that they may be use for 7 days, 42, 43, 44, 45, upto 56 days.
Why would it be a problem to remove them, say at day 15, 20, 30 or 35 or any time LESS than the maxium?

I did not say "less than the maximum". I said I would do no more or less than the instructions.

One reason for not shortening any exposure of any pest to any chemical is that a partial does may only cripple the ones with the most natural resistance instead of killing them, allowing more resistance to develop in a much shorter amount of time.

It's why your antibiotics all come with a warning to continue to take it until your prescription is finished.

All I'm saying is I would not shorten or lengthen it beyond what the instructions indicate is acceptable.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, but is there any concen about removing the strips when it's in the 30's or low 40's? A local beekeeper said no problem, as long as I'm quick in removing the strips, and not taking any frames out to inspect. True?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
If the strips are at the top where you remove the cover (or inner cove) and just pull the strips then I don't see any problem at all. If you have to remove a box and split the cluster up, I'd wait for a warm day if you can. Any day that hits 50 will do for getting into a cluster briefly for something like pulling strips.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I have 2 deep brood chambers, so I'll wait until at least 50 deg. Last night I only hade 2 mites drop in 24 hrs. on one hive, no mites in the other.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
During cool to cold weather, a 24-hr test (board inserted then removed 24 hrs later) may not show any mites. Dont assume you "dont have ANY mites". A longer duration of maybe 4, 5, 10 days might be needed before they show up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts