Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering when you should start making splits for nucs if you want to sell some of them. Do you usually split after honey flow, towards the dearth and then overwinter the nuc and sell in the spring? Or do you create the nuc after winter at the start of spring?

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I do both. I just made nucs for overwintering and will sell those at the end of March. Also around the middle of March I will start Spring nucs from my non-production colonies. There is more money to be made selling bees than selling honey for the amount of work involved. Please edit your profile to include your location as the timing is location specific.

·
Registered
249 Posts
JWPalmer - when you sell overwintered nucs in March, what do you do with the remaining bees (assuming you have more than 4-5 frames by then)? Let them raise new queen or combine with other colonies? So far I was selling complete 10 frame hives in spring (overwintered as 5+5 nucs), but there would be more money by selling just few frames+queen. But then I would have to wait much longer as they can't mate a new queen that early... Thanks for the advice!

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
For me, a March overwintered nuc, singe deep 5 framer, has just gotten back to three to four frames of brood and bees. The only extra bees are the returning foragers. I will set up a new split in the same location so those bees have somewhere to go and the new spilt has a small foraging workforce. The process is the same, but your timing will be significantly different. I was enjoying 65°F days while you guys were knee deep in the white stuff.

·
Registered
249 Posts
For me, a March overwintered nuc, singe deep 5 framer, has just gotten back to three to four frames of brood and bees.
OK, so you overwinter them on 5 frames, got it. I will try that next year - this year they will be too big already. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts