Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I had nucs, this year a package, and now a captured swarm.

The swarm was captured last Saturday afternoon in an old deep to which I immediately added a frame of brood & a couple of empty old brood combs. I brought them home Sunday noon, and immediately transferred them into their permanent deep (on SBB with small entrance reducer) & added more empty comb to fill the box (10 frame). Inner cover, feed bucket on shims, empty deep, another inner cover, then migratory top.

By 4 pm Sunday evening, it was starting to sprinkle, so there was a clump of bees trying to get back into the hive. By 7 pm, I peeked inside the empty deep to see if the girls had found the feed bucket (they had). I could see masses of bees thru the hole in the inner cover.

Yesterday, Monday, I was seeing steady traffic in & out of the front entrance, but there were still several flying around trying to find other entrances including trying to get into the package hive. I know these were the ferals as they are very differently colored than my packaged. The packaged hive is on half reducer, so they were perfectly capable of tossing the strangers off the porch.

Now my question: I know I can peek inside the empty deep where the feed bucket is housed, but how long before I can get into the hive body proper? I'm pretty sure I have the queen, but I want to make sure. Also maybe swap some frames around if they're starting to honeybind the brood area. This was a HUGE swarm and has lots of foragers. They've been out every minute that the weather's been decent, and lapping up the feed when it's not.

I waited 3 weeks to inspect the package, but I have the sneaking suspicion that may be way too long for this swarm. I probably hived close to 5#.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Personally I'd monitor the feed as necessary, and do my first real inspection one week after hiving the swarm. You want to be sure they're settling in ok, but you don't want to disturb them so they'll abscond. By the end of the first week, you'll be able to tell if the queen is laying. Have your second super ready for them, because with 5# of bees, they may need it. Sounds like a winner!
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Second deep is ready & waiting.

Just checked the new girls, and they've taken about 1 1/2 quarts of syrup since Sunday afternoon. I knew they were hungry. Time to whip up another batch.

Also, I noticed a little bit of burr comb building. As I'm already using a deep to surround the feed bucket, I decided to drop a few partially drawn foundation frames in there since the girls appear to be in the mood to draw comb. Won't hurt anything, and since I've got to check feed every other day, I can monitor their progress.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts