Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was waiting to move the hives, at least until the weather warmed a bit. It seems they made up my mind for me. Both grandkids got stung while playing in the backyard. I'm going to move the bees tonight. I must say I am a bit apprehensive about this, since I will be doing this alone. If I can't get a trailer, I'll have to haul them in my SUV. I'm not real excited about huling angry bees in a confined space.

Does anyone have any advice?

I sure would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Did the kids get stung on their feet? Just curious, I always was getting stung in my paps yard, that was 45 years ago, we didn't think anything of it, and there werent any hives.....
I just moved my top bar hive after splitting it, and they were very calm and docile. You may want to close it up when they come in from foraging and then make the move so that you have them in there for the move. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
What type of configuration do you have? Screened bottom boards? Top entrances? How easy is it to close them up and at the same time keep them from suffocating?

Danny

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Last workshop 26 hives were hauled home in sedans, SUVs, sub-compacts and one pickup. Put a screen in the entrance and take it out as you are leaving them at their new home. I hauled 12 hives at a time in my Dad's Belvedere station wagon. I could not drive at 12 so he learned to drive surrounded by bees. I was the beekeeper, not Dad. I haul 4 hives a week in the cab of my truck so the air conditioning keeps them from cooking in the Florida heat. If you saw the Bee Movie, what was the only thing Barry B Benson wanted to do at the kitchen window? Let the kids watch you drive off and the testosterone will get you far enough that you cannot turn back. Man up dude!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
:lpf::lpf:

Oh mylanta! AB, I don't think I could man up if I tried my hardest. I'm all female. Sorry for whining ;)

Anyway, These bees are chasing and buzzing the face on purpose. They're not just happily flying around and gathering nectar.

DRUR, some have SBB, and some don't. I have half of the lot strapped down. I'm trying to decide how to handle the others so they don't overheat, as I don't have enough screen to go over the entrances.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Just block the SBB hives with a solid piece of wood. The SBB allows plenty of air. That would hopefully give you enough screen for the solid BB hives??
I moved a nuc 2 nights ago in the back of my SUV. No problems.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I made screens out of 1/4 inch screen from tractor supply. Strapped the hive together with a ratchet strap and placed the screen over the entrance after they were in for the night and moved them first thing in the morning. No problems at all and no loose bees.

Drove two hours with no ill effect at all.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tips. Finished up about 10:30 last night. I guess I need to workout. Man those deeps were a bear. I am in the process of switching to all mediums. Hopefully, getting them away from those Italians will calm them down.

I don't worry about bees in general, never have. I generally work them in a t-shirt. However, these had become so aggressive that I was not comfortable without a veiled jacket and gloves. I can't tell you how many times they rammed my veil. They seemed to know the head was the was to spot to aim. Thus, the need for the move.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Monie,

I only have a few more things to add. At night the worst problem with bees is that they crawl around and of course they are more apt to sting. So to start with, before you plug the entrances, it is best to have as many bees as possible to enter the boxes before sealing. You can accomplish this by spraying [with a light mist] the outside of the box [at and around the entrance]. The bees will think that it is raining and most will then enter the box prior to sealing. Also, if you can turn the a/c on in the car at the coldest settings this will help prevent the bees from suffocating and also will increase the inactivity while they are taking a ride. Have fun :).

Danny

1 - 15 of 15 Posts