Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
IMHO, fast crystalization occurrs in a few weeks. If it's just starting to crystalize after 6 months or so I would say that is slow. I don't know of any honey that can stay liquid for a year. Mind you I am talking about unpasteurized honey. If you heat honey it will stay liquid longer. Temp also is a factor.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you put the honey in the freezer it will not crytallize....at least I've kept it in there for a year, brought it out and it's just like it was when I put in in!

Chris

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Tree honeys are much slower to crystalize. It may take several years before they crystalize.

Flower honeys crystalize much faster. Sunflower and canola have been known to crystalize in the combs if you don't get them extracted quickly.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,992 Posts
Seed (already formed crystals or things like pollen that crystals can form on) is dependant on filtering finely and heating. Since I don't wish to do either, mine crystallize pretty quickly. The other thing that controls crystalization is the temprature. 56 F will crystallize very quickly. Close to that will also. The last thing, which you have no control over, is the sugar mixture. Some is more or less fructose and more or less sucrose to start with. This affects crystalization. For instance Tupelo is very slow to crystalize (years). Some are very fast for the same reason such as Canola. Fast is it's crystallized in the comb before I extract it. Slow is six months... but thats not heating it at all and not filtering beyond a course screen.

·
Registered
676 Posts
In my opinion, honey that takes 9 months or more to crystallize is slow. I've also had honey crystallize in the comb, which is quite fast. (I strain; not filter, and I don't heat my honey beyond 95-degrees.)

Honey is made up of glucose and fructose sugar molecules, along with invertase, which the bees add themselves. What makes honey crystallize faster is a higher glucose to lower fructose ratio. And, like a lot of people have hit upon, most tree nectars are low glucose, while your oil seeds (Canola, rapeseed, sunflower, soybean, etc.) are extremely high in glucose, which cause them to crystallize rapidly.

DS

·
Registered
546 Posts
Would I be out of line saying that it really depends on the honey? As MB suggested, about the different sugars, I've seen some crystallize fast, and some go for a long time...

:scratch:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Harvested 2 supers last year, one is starting to crystalize after 6-7 months other is not...unheated, filtered...I've read that heating will stave off crystalization but the cost is loss of subtle flavor, organic compounds...I can't vouch for that but it makes sense

1 - 10 of 10 Posts