Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming a "normal" size frame with foundation, how long on average does it take for the bees to cover the frame on both sides with comb ?

Of course this would have variables such as size of the colony etc but a ballpark would be good.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
I've seen them piddle around and take a year to draw a frame. I've seen them draw it in a day or two. It depends on whether they need some comb or not and have enough bees and resources available to make it.

It all depends.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I agree with MB. If they need comb, they'll pull it pretty fast. As you said, colony size, etc., comes into play but don't be terribly surprised if foundation turns into comb in a week or so. What you're more likely to see is frames of foundation...side by side...being worked at the same time. So, you may get a full comb of work across two or more frames. Typically, you'll see them work the middle part of the middle frames sooner than the outer parts of the outer frames. In fact, I went into late fall with parts of my outer frames edged with only foundation. The fall flow fixed that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts