Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a split and the new queen emerged 7 days ago. I just checked the hive and did not find eggs. About how long is typical for a new queen to start laying?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I made a split and the new queen emerged 7 days ago. I just checked the hive and did not find eggs. About how long is typical for a new queen to start laying?
I assume you've SEEN her and are not basing this on an empty queen cell? Depending on the weather, and other factors, it can sometimes take more time than you might think for her to start laying. I'd give it another week and take another look. If no eggs/larvae you might begin exploring purchasing a queen or doing another split.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last Monday there were five capped queen cells. On Tuesday, there was one queen cell open at the end, the other queen cells were opened on the sides and I saw a virgin queen running around. It was a pretty much of a text book pattern. The bees were foraging well last week and bringing in lots of pollen. They have pretty much stopped so that is why I checked for eggs and found none. I had moved several frames of capped brood over when I made the split. There were many drone cells there too. Now there are many drones in the hive with a lot of population, so it was difficult to spot the queen today. I will check more thoroughly this weekend for eggs.
I had an issue in the past with a split when the queen never starting to lay. Since I did not see eggs, I assumed the queen died or did not make it back after mating. I put more frames with eggs in there to try again, but they would not make a queen. I eventually found the non-laying queen in there, but by then, I had a laying worker. That took some time to straighten out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's about 32 days before you see eggs and larvae.
It's about 7 weeks till you see first brood hatch.

if your timing is correct wait another 2 weeks and check again

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow-up: I just checked the Friday. I saw the queen and a nice pattern of eggs already. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I've come to have the view that a split that raises it's own queen takes longer to lay after hatch. Same with a light population. During a flow she will start faster. Adding open brood helps.

Definitely a seat of the pants opinion though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts