Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Buffalolick...just got back from placing 3 hives on an AMZING amount of cotton. Hope all goes well as it just started to bloom here. We are excited to see what happens. Everywhere you looked was cotton. The bees were NOT happy about being moved, but, looks like they did ok!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Congrats DevDog,

The cotton here has had rain every single day for the last two weeks. That is extremely unusual for this dry area of Texas. I've been watching the cotton, most cotton around here is dry land and not irigated.

Cotton is still short but I'm sure will take off with all the rain we've had.

Is the cotton you just put your bees on irigated? If so, boy you hit the jackpot.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some is no doubt, but some is not. There has to be thousands of acres and we have had some rain spurts, so it SHOULD be booming soon....

·
Registered
238 Posts
The field right across from where we put the hives has some type of underground irrigation dug in on everyother row from what I understand. The fields on the other side of the hedge row from the bees has the big traveling overhead sprinklers, as do the fields by the sod farm. It's a GREAT find for us to be able to stick some hives on! All the cotton was atleast knee high, starting to bloom and loaded with buds. Checked and double checked with the farmer and there will be NO insecticides being sprayed. I've heard cotton honey granulates quickly...anyone have experince with it? That might not be too big a deal as I'm toying with the idea of doing a little creamed honey...if all goes well. Thanks for the help Dev! I was a little loopy and gimpy from fighting with my girls this morning..they did not like being moved even one little bit!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am NOT one of those feel bad for you kinda guys...dude, I felt horrible for you. When i saw all the stingers in your neck, ugh, i felt bad, bad bad....LOL

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not pretty enough. The garden style lid is my newest creation that my much better half demanded. Made 8 the other pretty cheap. She wants quilts painted on all the hives too...LOL.....i convinced her to go just the broodnest, which is 2 meds. The red and white one is Don...aka FBM's hive that i have already pulled a split from and they are under a month and a half old. The green one are Russians, and the the blue one is a split I made in March. all are on drawn comb, so I am gonna have to paya ttention to them...LOL...gonna go back this week and super them again just for more room.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Watch 'em close. If those cotton fields are south of Macon...the shb can be awful. And...those cotton folks tend to spray stuff on their cotton. I put some on cotton down around Unadilla a few years ago. The farmer said he didn't use any pesticides. I went down one day to check on them and there was a crop duster spraying the fields. The farmer said that ain't a pesticide...that's a growth retardant. Great....just what I want my bees eating. I took my hives home.
Good luck to ya.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Beeslave, that stand wont go anywhere. It looks odd in the picture, but i assure you it cant get more stable. 2x6's with crossmembers every 14 inches. Sawl good. I keep 10 on 2 stands just like it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Plus 1 on the hivestand. Its sturdy. As for shb. Mine came out of a shady yard and already have em. Apologies to Dev who doesn't have a big problem with them. His girls will no doubt have to deal with mine. Hoping this full sun location will help. Going to put a trap on them too. Beemandan, did you get any honey before you moved yours? If so, how was it? The farmer says the only thing he will spray is a defoliant about 1st or 2nd week of Sept. I drive through this area several xs per week and will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hope your bees do better than mine did last year on cotton. Bartow county, Georgia, probably 400 acres. Got the bees positioned (16 large hives) about 2 weeks prior to bloom. Monitored weekly. I did notice a few bees working the cotton blooms but they didn't put up any honey. The hives were lighter after the bloom than they were when I moved them there. I've been reading and watching posts concerning this and have come to the belief that soil conditions north of the "gnat line" do not produce enough cotton nectar to interest bees. Below the gnat line is where cotton honey is made. Good Luck! BTW cotton farmers spray defolient a few weeks prior to harvest. Never heard of growth retardant. Doesn't make sense to want to retard the growth.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Beemandan, did you get any honey before you moved yours?
I was trying to get some late season starts so I wasn't trying to get honey to harvest. I wanted to get comb drawn and hoping to fill a super to overwinter. Instead, I had to feed them all winter and had pulled them off of the cotton before they drew much comb. It really was a disappointment.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Cotton farmers who water their cotton in one form or another experience tremendous growth. They will spray a growth retardant over the cotton once the cotton gets so high. The whole point of this is to stop the cotton plant from putting all it's energy into growing upwards and instead,...put that energy into the development of the cotton bolls.

They will later spray a defoliant onto the cotton to make it drop all of its leaves and to open the cotton bolls. In the olden days, they had to wait for the frost and freezes to open the bolls and drop the leaves. Nowadays, it can all be done with sprays. Ain't technology and modern science great?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just curious...

How well do the bees consume the crystalized honey?
I can't answer, but, i can ask another question. Would it not be the same as eating crystalized sugar..aka MCM?

·
Registered
105 Posts
look that field over an see if you see somethin that looks like plastic drink
cups turned upside down. round here ag uses neon green. them thangs is
trap to monerter weevels an such put out by the ag department they in
turn tells the farmer what when an how an where. now if they aint sprayin they feedin. mite wanna ask that farmer your question a wee bit diferent

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
How well do the bees consume the crystalized honey?
I don't know if that honey crystallized in the comb. All I can say is that those bees consumed whatever honey was stored...crystallized or not.
What makes you think it was crystallized?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts