Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched this forum for "thymol" and got no hits.

I've read elsewhere thymol crystals mixed with mineral oil, then used in a propane fogger, is effective for varroa mite treatment.

Yea? Nay?

- djb

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
Apiguard is a thymol based gel treatment for varoa, however it needs to be in the hive for many days and after 14 days needs a repeat cycle to cover a longer period of time. The treatment can be hard on the bees and higher temperatures can exacerbate the problem. The mineral oil with thymol added was bandied about some 8 to 10 years ago but was not really proved to be an efficient mite remedy. The propane fogger thing keeps coming back like a bad penny the most recent using alcohol and oxalic acid which also never produced any concrete evidence of efficacy as in pictures of dead mites on sticky boards. One does not want to plan a treatment regimen on hearsay evidence so I would be careful on relying on some method without proof of efficacy.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Randy Oliver, (Scientifibeekeeping.com), published a thymol recipe mixing sugar syrup and thymol to keep the syrup from going moldy, plus a mixture for making your own Apiguard style mix. Dave Cushman's web site had plans for a frame that held thymol crystals to kill mites as the crystals evaporated or otherwise dissipate into the air inside the hive. Personally, I wouldn't put it in a propane fogger, that method of delivery did not pan out. HTH :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Randy Oliver, (Scientifibeekeeping.com), published a thymol recipe mixing sugar syrup and thymol to keep the syrup from going moldy, plus a mixture for making your own Apiguard style mix. Dave Cushman's web site had plans for a frame that held thymol crystals to kill mites as the crystals evaporated or otherwise dissipate into the air inside the hive. Personally, I wouldn't put it in a propane fogger, that method of delivery did not pan out. HTH :)
Randy's site is one place I saw it, I thought Randy was fairly knowledgeable. Not sure if the thymol regimen is considered natural, but being derived from thyme and used with food grade mineral oil it seems so to me (saw the oil/fogger on another site). I'm trying to make an effective treatment without having to invest [more] costly equipment; if I can use what I have already, the better. Using just crystals as evaporative treatment sounds interesting...no additional equipment needed.

- djb

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
... I'm trying to make an effective treatment without having to invest [more] costly equipment...
You can buy an oxalic acid vaporizer for about $60 on Amazon. That is much cheaper than having to buy replacement bees. :)

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Alex, nobody is saying that Apiguard/thymol doesn't work. It's the mixing with mineral oil and other concoctions in a fogger that is not effective. J

1 - 9 of 9 Posts