Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here had any experience with using thymol products in nucs post check back when they are typically 3 to 5 combs in size? I have been using an oxalic treatment at this stage with fairly good luck but thought that perhaps the longer treatment time might get mite levels even lower coming into a summer honey flow.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have been dribbling on check backs as close as we can to 21 days after killing our old queen.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I run thymol in my feed on all the splits. Very low to zero mite counts using an alcohol was test.

·
Registered
433 Posts
the break in brood rearing plus the low number of parasite hosts negates the need for treatment in a nuc in my view.

I never treat my nucs going into their first winter. Is Mike Palmer out there? I don't think he treats his nucs either.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I have it at home. I will post it tonight and PM you with it also. I don't want to guess cause I have worked long and hard to get the right amount. I will have to check out Randy's...see if I am close to his.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Big thanks to a lot of you American beekeepers on all the work you have done with regards to varroa control. We are several years behind in the varroa resistance journey in Canada and are able to learn a lot from your battles. Doesn't mean we don't get caught with some of the same disastrous situations (though we probably shouldn't), but the options back to healthy hives are much clearer for us due to your battles.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Alpha how much thymol per gallon of feed?
Nick,

Here is my feed recipe.

Liquid Feed – Sprayer (or feed)
3 Gallons of Water
20 lbs of Sugar
(1.5 droppers of thyme oil) – Optional for use with mite control misting or as treatment/feed
3 droppers of lemongrass oil
3 droppers of spearmint oil
5 teaspoons of Soy Lecithin Granules

In a 5 gallon bucket pour in one gallon of very hot water (not boiling). Mix in 5 teaspoons of Lecithin granules. With a mud mixer or similar mixer, mix in the granules for a couple of seconds. Add your lemongrass and spearmint oil to the mix and run the mixer again. Next, add two gallons of tap water. Mix again. Next, start adding your bags of sugar. Add a couple of bags and mix then add more. If you try and add too much at once it can burn out your mixer. Keep mixing until all the sugar is mixed well into the solution. You should have about 4- 4.5 gallons of feed ready to go.
(For mite control misting) Get a garden sprayer. Use one that has not been used before as you do not want chemicals in your feed. I label the one I use “Bee Feed” so it doesn’t get confused with anything. Pour in your mix and pressure up your sprayer. I use the fine mist setting. This allows you to mist a frame in one or at most two sweeps and doesn’t soak the frame or bees but gives it a nice even complete coating. Place into your hive and move to the next frame.
Lastly, I run two of these feeds with thyme and then just run them with lemongrass and spearmint. Towards the end of Nov. I will feed one more time with thyme. No special reason that I do this but experimenting around I found this works best for the bees. My mite counts since starting this method have been very low to zero.
Alternate Liquid Feed (makes up a smaller batch)
2qts. of water
2qts. of sugar
12 drops of thyme oil
28 drops of lemongrass oil
28 drops of spearmint oil
3 teaspoons of lecithin granules

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Heck I don't know what size it is, but I can get 28 drops filling the dropper as full as I can get it. Not sure how many drops in an oz but the oz containers of EO's I buy last a good while.

To answer Allen's question. I started with a formula that I got from someone at one of our bee meetings long ago. Since then I have been working on getting the amount right so as to have maximum effect with as little EO's as possible. This is the current formula (three years worth of effort) that I am using and it seems to work really well. My mite count this fall using the alcohol wash method with between zero and three on 99 percent of my hives. I had one count of 7 which was the biggest I had. Several other here on Beesource have used this with good success. If you improve on it, please let me know...always looking to tweek it just a bit more.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Here is what I have measured out a few times using the .5 oz bottle that had the built in dropper.

15 drops = .25 tsp. .5 ounce bottle has 3 tsp. (180 drops)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Have you fed thymol without the spearmint and lemongrass?
Also it is my understanding you are using thyme oil not thyme crystals disolved in alcohol?
Were is a good place to purchase large quantities(gallons) of thyme oil?
Also thanks for the info already given.

Would 10 drops of thyme oil per hive be the right amount?
Which would be about 14 oz. per 500 gallons of feed.

·
Banned
578 Posts
To answer Allen's question. I started with a formula that I got from someone at one of our bee meetings long ago. Since then I have been working on getting the amount right so as to have maximum effect with as little EO's as possible. This is the current formula (three years worth of effort) that I am using and it seems to work really well. My mite count this fall using the alcohol wash method with between zero and three on 99 percent of my hives. I had one count of 7 which was the biggest I had. Several other here on Beesource have used this with good success. If you improve on it, please let me know...always looking to tweek it just a bit more.
Thanks. I guess what I am getting at is, are you going by mite counts and comparing hives that receive various formulas all at the same time as well as some that get no treatment?

At Orlando, I did hear that someone has EO formula which Dave Wick, a virus tech guy from Montana said seemed to reduce his virus loads to immeasurable levels in a limited and nob-scientific test of a few hives he has -- if I understood him correctly. I have the info here somewhere and will post it.

I tend to be sceptical about these things and hate to put anything into my hives, but I also keep an open mind and if something works, it works.

Are there other things you are measuring?

·
Registered
855 Posts
What is the concentration of thyme in your thyme oil?

If I go by thyme crystals I know the concentration is 100% but different oils have different thyme concentrations.

Thyme oil is available with a concentration from 25% up to 65% of thyme.
IMO it is useless to go by any formula when using different oils.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts