Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st year: I started 2 8-frames medium hives from NUCs in June this year, here in Alexandria, VA.

Today is the end of July and all 3 boxes seem to be popping out comb, honey, brood. In particular, the one hice has brood inthe top most box with cross comb....

I noticed cross comb now in one of the hives. I have been feeding 1:1 and they are just guzzling this stuff from the top feeder 2-3 gallons a week ( super bees). The cross comb worries me as I fear they may be feeling a little cramped.

I thought 3 boxes were the permanent brood unit with anything over 3 honey supers.....and I was going to paint or designate the 4th and above "honey" by urethaning or painting with a different scheme.... [ the bees don't care what I have in mind they just keep doing their bee thing]

QUESTION: Should I add another box to keep from swarming at this late summer date or do the bees somehow self regulate and just maintain at 3 hive boxes?

·
Registered
378 Posts
when the top box is 80% full add the super, if shes laying in the top box thats usually because theres no space below,stop feedingespecially if theres a flow on.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You perhaps should stop feeding--your bees may be running out of space for storage of honey, which will impact on brood space. Your description of your colonies sounds as though they'll be strong enough to take care of themselves and store the honey they'll need for the winter from fall goldenrod, aster, etc.

What do the frames in your bottom two supers have in them?

·
Premium Member
2,494 Posts
Remove a few frames of honey from the brood box and add some empty frames on either side of the brood for space :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
honey or sugar water,the bees will store the sugar water just like honey,thats why there taking 2-3 gals a week.

·
Registered
810 Posts
IMG_1349.jpg IMG_1349.jpg Okay it is nearly 830, it may be hot but it is only 82 degrees and I have a congregation on the doorstep....I am freaking out here....So, in the morning I think I have to something quick......I only have 8 empty frames. I am sure I can find 4 honey frames in each hive and swap them out for these empties to buy me time.....My next question is should I remove the four frames from the top or from somewhere in the middle of the colony? Will I be able to sleep tonight?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Stop freaking out. They do that. Mine do anyway. You can remove them from the top but without the feed on they may not draw out the new frames. Can you extract a couple from each? In the middle or lower box. That will give them empty drawn comb to work with. The honey won't be worth eating but it gives the queen some room. Just stop feeding.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Stop feeding, they'll eat some reserves and make some room for brood. Your bees are bearding, hanging out on the front porch to keep the hive cool. Mine are doing the same thing. Don't mind the cross comb it doesn't mean they're out of space but if the top box is near full, add another box soon- not tonite! I'd look for queen cells too, if you have some that's due to overfeeding and cramping them for space- something learned.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YUP, I removed the top feeders and salvaged the syrup, ants and all this afternoon. There is brood in the top frame so i know, or at least I suspect they'll keep going....I have 2 NUCs in which to store the honey comb until I can return them back to the hive in a week after paint cures......thanks
Stop freaking out. They do that. Mine do anyway. You can remove them from the top but without the feed on they may not draw out the new frames. Can you extract a couple from each? In the middle or lower box. That will give them empty drawn comb to work with. The honey won't be worth eating but it gives the queen some room. Just stop feeding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts