Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 4 production hives that all have 2 deep 8 frame brood boxes followed by QE and honey supers.. This works great in my bee yard.

Now, I was thinking about putting a smaller hive in my yard consisting of a single 8 frame deep box for brood, a QE and then honey super.

My thoughts are in this format the bees will have less room for brood so half as many bees and less honey which is fine...

What are the consequences of this? More swarms?

·
Registered
323 Posts
A lot of people raise bees in single brood boxes, usually they are 10 frame though. You would be very close to raising them in a nuc sized colony. You can certainly do that, but I would make sure that the hive is at least supered during a nectar flow with a queen excluder on top of your single brood box with the super above. When raising bees this way, you run an increased risk of swarming since they run out of space very quickly. You will need to so more inspections and practice more swarm prevention methods to keep your small hive alive.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
In a post by German beekeeper Bernard Hueval (sp?) it is claimed that 7 frames for brood will sustain a colony and not cause swarming increase.

Past summer is my first with single 10 frame deep brood box and I did pull some brood frames for making increase. I may not have had to though. I did find that there was huge population in honey supers above the excluder. Since virtually no honey is stored in restricted brood area colonies they can efficiently raise brood more efficiently on far fewer frames than in a double deep format.

I did cave in to destroying some queen cells but I now question whether they might have been well justified supercedure process. My first season with this format so green, green! Certainly will be doing more single deeps. Just guessing, but I would not be afraid to try 8 framer. I do think though that you should super really early and plan on having 4 supers on the go once the flow commences.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your opinions.. Im going to try it out! Now that I think about it, I guess it makes sense.. I started beekeeping with a flowhive kit and it was a single 8frame brood and then the flow hive.

I currently have 4 production hives that all have 2 deep 8 frame brood boxes followed by QE and honey supers.. This works great in my bee yard.

Now, I was thinking about putting a smaller hive in my yard consisting of a single 8 frame deep box for brood, a QE and then honey super.

My thoughts are in this format the bees will have less room for brood so half as many bees and less honey which is fine...

What are the consequences of this? More swarms?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
A single 8 frame deep box allows queen to lay 2600 eggs a day before she runs out of space. If you can fit 9 frames in the box, she'll be able to lay 3000 eggs a day without running out of room. I feel 8 frame deeps are enough, but I've not ever had large strong flows Like some others do in other locations.

I have run single 8 frame deeps with queen excluder as you have mentioned in the past just fine. No more swarming than using double deeps, maybe even less swarming. It really was good management for me in my location. If you are in doubt, see if 9 frames will fit, they do in some boxes by some manufacturers. Also, think about using the 8 frame deep on top of a medium box of 8 frames. That gives them room to store pollen below the nest and expand brood down into the medium also if they need to. It will also give some room for more open nectar surrounding the brood. With 8 frame deep single box, there's no room for pollen or nectar around the brood, in my experience, in a single 8 frame deep, it's all brood.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
I feel my ten and twelve frame hives do better than my eight frames hives. I regret making eight frame hives after 40 years of using larger hives. I have Charlie B to thank for steering me to make that mistake. Never listen to the advice of your less experienced friends. I am now handicapped and the light weight of the eight frame hives will only do my employees good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts