Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We caught a swarm this afternoon that we’re almost certain came from one of our hives. For the night we’ll leave them in the hive (two 8 frame medium boxes) in the location where we caught the which is about 50 yards from our bee yard. We did add a frame of open brood to the swarm hive to help anchor them there.
We don’t have an easy alternative location to put the hive currently. What are the thoughts on simply putting the captured swarm (in a new box with foundation only) back in our bee yard?

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I do it when it happens. Usually don't have a problem. Usually. Sometimes they've already set their minds on another spot so when you hive them, they appreciate the temporary roof over their heads but they're still on the road. Most of the time, the swarm ends up being a colony a few yards or so from where they started.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Last year I hived four of my known swarms (shaken out of the trees) and put them on a stand just a few feet from their original hives. All four stayed put on drawn comb only.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Last year I witnessed one of my hives swarming. Strangely enough it landed back on the hive it came from and crawled under the hive. I broke down the hive and dumped the swarm into a trash can and then into a spare hive box. The hive is still in my yard. 20 feet from where it swarmed from.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts