Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a home with a 1.3 acre canyon hillside in San Diego. I'm very near the city so the general area is urban but the immediate area is a very large undeveloped canyon. My hillside is north facing and is covered/overgrown with mostly manzanita trees and other native shrubs. My house sits at the top on the ridge of the canyon. The hillside has a moderate slope - easily walkable where it has been cleared.

Some things I am considering. I'm thinking of strategically clearing out a path at some point (not too far) down the hill horizontally off the main path that goes down one side of the property. This path would allow me to mildly restrict physical access to the hive area as I have two small children that at some point will be old enough to wander the property or have friends over. Was thinking a small gate at a point where two shrubs come together with a warning sign. The path would lead to a clearing where I would have the hives.

I know about west facing and off the ground. For those familiar with the local climate, is there anything I should consider from a hive temperature standpoint? Doesn't get any colder than a morning frost maybe a few times a year (though this winter there's been none) and the summer rarely reach above 90, if ever.

I'm doing a bunch of reading for sure. There's a healthy local group with a couple local shops that I will be attending and familiarizing myself with.

Anything else I should consider regarding placement before I dive in and start acquiring equipment?

Thanks ahead for any advice.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I did not keep bees when I lived in SoCal for 4 years, but I would think your set up plans sound good. I am not sure you need a sign and if worried about small children I would consider a fence around your apiary. I would try to set it up so that you had shade in the hottest part of the day, if not for your bees at least for you. Also make sure they have a constant and convenient (for you and any neighbors) water source.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
What you have sounds good, fencing is a good idea, on 1.3 acres you shouldn't have to worry about neighbors. Wherever you put the hives, remember you may eventually have to lug out heavy honey supers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are there bears in the area?
No not in San Diego. My parents on the other hand have issues with bears. They are up in Los Angeles right on the boarder of the national forest. They've caught them a couple times on a game cam busting into her hives. They've since had to surround their hives in electric fencing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What you have sounds good, fencing is a good idea, on 1.3 acres you shouldn't have to worry about neighbors. Wherever you put the hives, remember you may eventually have to lug out heavy honey supers.
Yeah thanks for reminding me. That will definitely be a factor in placement too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts