Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I have a hive that I have started off of a fairly strong 5 bar nucleus June 7 of this year. I have put a second deep on the hive because it looked as though they had 7-8 frames pulled out and working. My question is what should I be seeing when I inspect this hive and should I expect to put a honey super on this hive this month or is this expecting too much.
2. Is there anything that I should be doing to help these girls out? I am feeding about 1 quart of 1:1 sugar syrup about every five to six days and they have one half of a (probably un-needed) pollen patty.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
You'll need to talk with someone in Kentucky who knows your flows. To my way of thinking you put your 2nd box on way too soon. {I like to see all of the frames drawn and bees making use of 80-90% of the existing space. My system doesn't work well if you are not able to keep a close eye on your hives.)

·
Registered
693 Posts
I totally agree with Mr. Dewey; your second box went on way too soon. As much of the country enters the July-August dearth honey production will fall off. What ever honey your hive makes this summer/fall should be kept in the hive for the winter. Let the hive expand at its own normal rate and don't expect honey for the first year. I expect no honey from the hives that I started this year, package or nuc.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm in Tn. just a tad south of Ky, 8 frames filled and I add a new deep. If you were early, it wasnt "way too soon", you did just fine. Don't add a super til your at least 8 frames filled on your second deep.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'll need to talk with someone in Kentucky who knows your flows. To my way of thinking you put your 2nd box on way too soon. {I like to see all of the frames drawn and bees making use of 80-90% of the existing space. My system doesn't work well if you are not able to keep a close eye on your hives.)
Would someone in Ky. break down the flows for me? Ballpark figures.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Andrew and I will disagree on this. I try to not interrupt the work of those little wax makers when they are on a roll and will add a box when it looks like they can keep drawing out more frames. Seems to me, if I wait until every frame is drawn out and 80 to 90% of the existing space is use before adding a box, I am perilously close to maxing out the hive.

While I never really subscribed to the idea that too much space somehow "demoralizes" the bees, I am fairly confident when I say that the bees have no idea that you have stacks of empty supers in the barn, just waiting for them to fill those last few cells. What they might see is a hive that is reaching capacity and due for a swarm.

I don't know the Southern climate, but I do know Maine's and life seems to be a bit slower up there for both residents and bees and I found keeping on top of the swarming process there was a lot easier than it is here in Pennsylvania. I won't begin to guess about your area. I do agree w/ Andrew that local advice is essential.

Wayne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts