Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this year, we got up to 32 hives through splits, new nucs and swarm captures. I had six yards, from in-town mini-garden yards of two or three hives to my farm of 14 acres with a dozen hives. As part of the process of growing out your hobby is recognizing the amount of work it takes, going from two hives which is basically entertainment to entering the smaller end of a sideliner. At this time, we've been hand up-capping and using a cheap FleaBay purchase 3/6 motorized extractor, storing honey in food grade 5 gallon pails to strain and settle out. Looks like we averaged out around 50 lbs. per hive but given the amount of first year splits/nucs and swarms, some of which built out nicely but produced no concernable honey, it was a good year. Because of the lack of production equipment and doing this as hand work, we did small batches of 50 or 60 frames at a time and were able separate the honey by color and grade. Below are some 1/4 lbs. Muth's, two of each to show the color spectrum of this year's harvest. There was actually another, one bucket that was almost black but at the time of writing I didn't label all of the buckets and I'm just wasn't up to digging through all the bucket to find it. While I'm sure many beeks do this separation, as a local, artisanal presentation, it would bring a significant premium in sale margins, especially in up-scale markets as whole raw honey. Happy Thanksgiving

Liquid Bottle Tableware Drinkware Flower

·
Registered
155 Posts
Beautiful, Larry.
I had a similar array of colors from pale amber through molasses brown but none as light as yours on the far right. Very nice display.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,584 Posts
nice. I have kept the honey from 2 hives that were side by side seperate and they looked and tasted different one year.

This was across several years, but the center and center right were from the same year from 2 hives a few feet apart.
Food Food storage Ingredient Liquid Food storage containers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts