Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience coating your hives with TWS?

Our winters aren't so bad & I like the look of the natural wood. Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
281 Posts
i was just thinking the same thing.. goes on fast, lasts a few years on flat surfaces, probably a lot longer on vertical. If others have had no problem using it i likely will be using it myself.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I paint my hives, but if you like the natural look Cabots is really good. There Australian timber oil is a great product. Be careful with rags. There is always a spontaneous combustion risk with any product like these. Just my 2 bits.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just painted a screened bottom board and hive top feeder with TWS. I read the directions first and it did not mention that any of the ingredients were any type of insecticide so I used it. The only problem that I can see is that it may take some time for it to cure ( all the volites to evaporate) otherwise I think it's good to go. I have an English garden hive that I plan to stain and use the TWS as a cover coat.
Pete

·
Registered
507 Posts
Try boiled Linseed Oil. The only problem with it is nothing will really stick to it. I just finished my bee vac and put the linseed oil on the outside. To stop the air leaks between the hive bodies, I tried to use duct tape. Worked for a while but then even the duct tape couldn't stick.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
You can also get a deck stain with a weathered wood look.
Most of my equipment has green deck stain on it.
I did do one hive with Thompsons this year.

·
Registered
706 Posts
If I could post photos here Do to the fact I don't use photobucket ect.. I could show you my hives I use Jasco termin brown wood preserve makes my hives look great. i know I should not promote a nother site but If pm me I will direct you to see some of my hives.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just use TWS on some new nucs and it was so easy I liked it! I did put some bees in one after about 3 days and it didn't seem to dried out yet and they are doing good. The other ones are still sitting outside drying and after 2 weeks they still feel oily but I put one on a trapout this morning so we'll see if they like it.
Tim Adams

·
Registered
107 Posts
I used linseed oil on cypress supers last summer. By fall they looked awful, raised grain and moldy; went back, sanded lightly and primed with oil-based primer then painted.

If you want that natural look, don't use linseed oil, use a deck-type product like Thompsons. If you don't like the solvent smell, water-based versions are available and they work fine.

·
Registered
730 Posts
In case you overlooked this on the label of boiled linseed oil...

"Use of this product will expose you to arsenic, beryllium, chromium, cadmium and nickel, which are known to cause cancer; and lead which is known to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm."

No thank you... not around any honey I want to produce and eat.

Look at this site. They carry toxic free materials like purified linseed oil. They also have pine tar that you paint on as a natural wood preservative.

http://www.solventfreepaint.com/index.htm

TWS works too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts