Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
This has been a good thread and reminds me of the Serenity Prayer: God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Have a wonderful Christmas everyone. Deb

·
Registered
20 Posts
All your comments caused me mixed emotions. Made me look back and remember how life was. But yeah, this is all for a reason. Focus on the things we can change for the better.

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
All your comments caused me mixed emotions. Made me look back and remember how life was. But yeah, this is all for a reason. Focus on the things we can change for the better.
I agree; I am thankful I have acreage and live in the boonies :)and of course the bees. I often think on the mass exodus of NYC and the small business owners losing their livelihoods and hard work building their businesses. Hopefully it will all come back.

·
Registered
11,481 Posts
It will surely come back.

Over here, the restrictions imposed when we had the virus, and still restrictions on overseas travel, meant that a lot of people have found themselves with a lot more ready cash than they would have had, and spending has recently increased a lot. The economy has bounced back strongly.

Lockdown also had good and bad consequences. There was an increase in family violence, there was a decrease in other crime. The "normal" flu has gone virtually extinct. People in non violent households were able to have time together and personal growth, and have come out with new perspectives, and appreciating things they did not consider previously.

I know several people who were tourists in NZ and then got trapped here, unable to return home due to travel restrictions. They then gained support and sometimes lodgings from sympathetic NZ'ers, and enjoyed the experience so much they are now seeking to become permanent residents here.

In hindsight, although there has been bad, a lot of good has also come from this pandemic.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
It will surely come back.

Over here, the restrictions imposed when we had the virus, and still restrictions on overseas travel, meant that a lot of people have found themselves with a lot more ready cash than they would have had, and spending has recently increased a lot. The economy has bounced back strongly.

Lockdown also had good and bad consequences. There was an increase in family violence, there was a decrease in other crime. The "normal" flu has gone virtually extinct. People in non violent households were able to have time together and personal growth, and have come out with new perspectives, and appreciating things they did not consider previously.

I know several people who were tourists in NZ and then got trapped here, unable to return home due to travel restrictions. They then gained support and sometimes lodgings from sympathetic NZ'ers, and enjoyed the experience so much they are now seeking to become permanent residents here.

In hindsight, although there has been bad, a lot of good has also come from this pandemic.
True, there is good and bad with everything. It's up to us to choose which we would focus on. Yes, it is terrible. Many have been affected, exhausted mentally and physically especially the health workers. But it's here. It's happening. We don't have much choice but to face it with the right mindset. Depression and anxiety can be sneaky but we must be watchful and prepared to battle them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
True, there is good and bad with everything. It's up to us to choose which we would focus on. Yes, it is terrible. Many have been affected, exhausted mentally and physically especially the health workers. But it's here. It's happening. We don't have much choice but to face it with the right mindset. Depression and anxiety can be sneaky but we must be watchful and prepared to battle them.
Right now, we need to strengthen our overall health. Surround ourselves with the people who make us feel better. I am thankful that we have this kind of community to give us support during these trying times.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I agree; I am thankful I have acreage and live in the boonies :)and of course the bees. I often think on the mass exodus of NYC and the small business owners losing their livelihoods and hard work building their businesses. Hopefully it will all come back.
I agree. We have been affected as a community but living (really settled-down call-it-home living) in a city would be very challenging, now more than usual. I watched a lady on YouTube a few days ago walking through her home town of Las Vegas. The streets and businesses were mostly deserted. In a place like that where it's all tourism I'm sure it's been painful.
True, there is good and bad with everything. It's up to us to choose which we would focus on.
This is good advice for any time, but especially this time in which we find ourselves. While I was fortunate not to lose work I was quarantined a couple of times. Had to start assessing what it is I'm really so busy with. Need to unplug.
Right now, we need to strengthen our overall health. Surround ourselves with the people who make us feel better. I am thankful that we have this kind of community to give us support during these trying times.
Community is where you find it. I pray (though not nearly enough) that I may be a blessing to those around me, and not a hindrance. Some days this works out, many/most times it's all about me. During depressive seasons I've known for many years that if I would get up and go help someone, anyone, accomplish anything, I would find people who have had hardships worse than anything I've faced. I've heard it said that it's hard to feel gratitude and anything else. And yes, I'm grateful for this community as well.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Us misanthropes have thrived with all the enforced lack of human interaction. We tend to be attracted to beekeeping, as it can be a very solitary pursuit. Joanne and I fled the City for our NJ place, and we have stayed on well past the end of the normal "beach season", with no plans to leave. The apartment in Manhattan gathers dust, and there is no reason to return any time soon, as most everything is closed, and the City remains far too risky for a couple in their 60s.

I've made a few trips to check on the bees, but I only harvested half the spring crop, left most everything on the hives, as sales are way down at the health-food stores, and there was only one Christmas Charity fair that did an "online" fair. Everyone else fled the city, too. The traffic reports seem silly, as there are no traffic jams at all.

Season tickets to the Jets? They sent us a nice blanket to spread on the couch to catch popcorn we spill when they make yet another bone-headed play. The Mets? Heck, they tried to get us to pay them $80 MORE to have cardboard cutouts with our photos placed in the seats behind home plate, but they stank so badly this year, even the cardboard cutouts did not want to go to the games. Still no word on how we will be credited or refunded for entire seasons of games we could not attend at all.

The Met Opera and the ABT and NYC Ballet? They've been doing things online, and it is nice to see older performances in 4K and dolby stereo, but its not the same as being there in person. They want us to consider all money paid "a donation", as they are hurting, as are all institutions. They promise a big blow-out party when this is all over...

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
Bob Dylan did a version of this awhile back.

Alex
Too much volume on the instruments for my taste; I like to hear the words. Actually liked the original recording by Red Hayes. Here is a link to recordings of it by other artists. Around the time old Elvis was just taking off. Where have all the years gone?

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,531 Posts
They want us to consider all money paid "a donation", as they are hurting, as are all institutions. They promise a big blow-out party when this is all over...
I dunno Jim, sounds more like breach of contract on their part.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Us misanthropes have thrived with all the enforced lack of human interaction. We tend to be attracted to beekeeping, as it can be a very solitary pursuit. Joanne and I fled the City for our NJ place, and we have stayed on well past the end of the normal "beach season", with no plans to leave. The apartment in Manhattan gathers dust, and there is no reason to return any time soon, as most everything is closed, and the City remains far too risky for a couple in their 60s.

I've made a few trips to check on the bees, but I only harvested half the spring crop, left most everything on the hives, as sales are way down at the health-food stores, and there was only one Christmas Charity fair that did an "online" fair. Everyone else fled the city, too. The traffic reports seem silly, as there are no traffic jams at all.
I haven't watched a lot of news in the last 6-8 months. I knew NYC was particularly hard-hit, but had no idea that large swathes of folks had actually bailed. I've seen the videos of Times Square with 75 ppl walking around which is surreal to me, and I've never even seen it in person.

I hope and pray this particular crisis will be abated soon.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
This has been a good thread and reminds me of the Serenity Prayer: God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Have a wonderful Christmas everyone. Deb
Too much volume on the instruments for my taste; I like to hear the words. Actually liked the original recording by Red Hayes. Here is a link to recordings of it by other artists. Around the time old Elvis was just taking off. Where have all the years gone?
Yeah, the mixer sounds like he was trying to drown out the background singers.
Since it is raining today, I am going to give those other versions a listen.

Thanks
Alex

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I dunno Jim, sounds more like breach of contract on their part.
Well, the governor said "no gatherings over 100 people total", and the usual attendance is several hundred donors, with maybe 100 more waiters and bartenders, so any "breach of contract" claim would be defeated with a "force majeure"excuse. And they'd be exactly right. Anyway, whose gonna sue any zoo or aquarium over a few more dollars, when they are in such a tough place, and we have been supporting them for years? Anyway, look how happy they make my girl... she gets to play with the penguins, and work with the trainers, she loves it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The past year was crazy for sure, and we're at the beginning of another one. Who knows what can happen. Since the vaccine is here, we'd probably be spending this year learning the efficacy of the vaccine.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Well, the governor said "no gatherings over 100 people total", and the usual attendance is several hundred donors, with maybe 100 more waiters and bartenders, so any "breach of contract" claim would be defeated with a "force majeure"excuse. And they'd be exactly right.
This definitely falls under "force majeure". So many artists and support people are affected. Remember, it's not just the performers, it's the stage hands, the lighting techs, the sound engineers, the makeup and costuming people, the administration office, etc... There are many cogs in the wheels everywhere. At least your donation will be tax deductible, and might help keep an organization from suffering a total financial disaster.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
At least your donation will be tax deductible, and might help keep an organization from suffering a total financial disaster.
Trying to be more mindful of those in any kind of "service" type industry would probably be a good thing. I've tried to tip bigger and generally be kinder to those who cook and serve my breakfast most mornings, stock and bag our groceries etc.

I worked in food service for a while in Nashville (i.e. moved to Nashville as a musician lol) when I was young. I think taking a semester of food service would benefit any young person. You see (and are forced to deal with) the best and worst in people. I digress, .... for now trying to show appreciation to folks who have been forced into a germy situation, or sending the hair dresser or dog groomer a few bucks even though they are closed, or patronizing the arts and other affected organizations are all good things.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Ohh man, the last year has actually made me sooooo depressed, I have never been in such a terrible condition. I was reviewing my whole life, trying to figure out where I have made mistakes and why so many terrible things are happening right now.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Ohh man, the last year has actually made me sooooo depressed, I have never been in such a terrible condition. I was reviewing my whole life, trying to figure out where I have made mistakes and why so many terrible things are happening right now.
It would have been difficult to go through the last year unaffected. And while it pays to regularly take stock in our lives I would encourage you to try and focus on the positive things and particularly on what can be done to make the future better.

I recently came home from work, pulled off my shoes and tried to place them in a basket on the shelf where I keep them. I had a laptop case in my other hand and had done this move many times. This time my wife had placed several other pairs of shoes in the basket, and these would have to be rearranged. In short, I was very tired and my one-handed routine had been interrupted. I was tired and aggravated, for about 5 seconds.

Last Sunday my wife and I had a video call with a young pastor in Pakistan who cares for around 60 orphan children. He is currently raising money as many of them don't have one pair of shoes. Perspective.... I woke up in a comfortable home with plenty of food this morning, and more shoes than I can fit in one basket. Much of the world can not say that. I don't say this to pile on any kind of guilt. That's not constructive at all.

Like you, more than once this past year I was physically ill and emotionally spent. Each time I realized that what I was feeding on was hurting me. I turned off the news, turned off the "breaking news" feed on YouTube and was markedly better in hours, and living a pretty normal life within a day or two. My daughter is a therapist and she said early-on they began advising people to limit the amount of time they spent on social media and news.

At this point we have a few people in community who have died from the virus, and several hundred who have fully recovered. We have had many more who have died of overdoses. Our pastor died last Saturday suddenly and without warning. It was not due to covid. In a small community everyone knows everyone, and the overall number of babies being born and folks leaving this life is as steady as it has ever been in my 55 years.

My advice is try and remember something you enjoy and make a goal to do more of that. Any time I have been truly depressed in my life it has always helped me to go and serve others in some capacity. In doing so I quickly find there are people who have struggles which I've been shielded from most of my life. It is hard to get started, but once you make a decision to go spend the day in a soup kitchen, or raking leaves for some elderly person I promise you things will improve.

Take care friend,
joe

41 - 60 of 63 Posts