Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
It looks like we all have a lot to be thankful for. One of the main reasons we all "survived" upbringing was home and family influence...a 2 parent home for the most part..and a **** good work ethic. I was the second one in my family to get a degree, NO LOANS, I worked a job nights and weekends for 2 years and the GI Bill helped for the next 3 years. My 2 kids went to college...and worked. No loans. We are all truly blessed MERRY CHRISTMAS, Spring is just around the corner.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
This has definitely been a weird year.

Being mostly stuck inside for about 2 months in the fall due to wildfires in the area (really smokey, raining ash at times) was not fun and was rough. I am also missing my family, but I will see them in about 10 days after thanksgiving plans blew up. On the bright side I am still employed and working from home.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi all! Thanks for all your responses.

I agree with your thoughts. Maybe we just got too comfortable with modern life that this pandemic and all the restrictions are oppression already. Though I miss the gatherings and faces of strangers actually. Never thought I'd miss that.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
625 Posts
Yes, for those that still were able to keep their job and keep working from home, BE THANKFUL and BLESSED.
There are so many that were/are out of jobs.
And for those that have some money saved also be happy. Many of the USA/world work check to check
I am thankful that I had just left working at a Hospital in January 3rd 2020 but went to the Restaurant Biz. Wow that was an eye opener and bad move- well not knowing what was about to happen, meh.
I was out for a month and landed a Medical Temp Gig which is still going.

The future will need some serious thinking on what will be available come summer of 2021

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Many of the USA/world work check to check
I must say, many of those working "check to check" are looking at the self-made problem when trying to keep up with "the Joneses".

Like a lady living in 5-bedroom house with 2 cats should not be complaining of "paycheck to paycheck" hard living. She probably doesn't that I can tell, but some others do complain of their "hardships". :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I must say, many of those working "check to check" are looking at the self-made problem when trying to keep up with "the Joneses".

Like a lady living in 5-bedroom house with 2 cats should not be complaining of "paycheck to paycheck" hard living. She probably doesn't that I can tell, but some others do complain of their "hardships". :)
Hopefully this isn't getting to political, but I wonder how much of the paycheck to paycheck living is self inflicted sometimes. One of the better examples that I have seen is If you are stuggling with bills do you really need a fancy cell phone or will the cheap one work fine for you? I think some people really need to stop trying to keep up with the Jonses and just live within their means. I know some poeple are struggeling, and actually have problems, but some portion also are just self inflicted problems due to poor financial choices.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,531 Posts
People trying to live better than their paycheck allows is apolitical, it paints red and blue with the same brush. Nice house, nice cars, fancy toys, and the repo man is just one financial hiccup away. Better to not care what the Joneses have and worry about your own peace of mind. Those of us that did not grow up with all the niceties appreciate what we do have and know how to make do when less is coming in. I really want to buy a Maxant 16 gal bottling tank. I could put it on a credit card and get it now, or I can sell another pail and a half of honey and pay cash. Guess which plan I choose.

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
A little before my time, but 👍👍

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
No changes in my personal life except not going to church and seeing my 90-year-old dad as much. When I do stop to visit I stay across the room. A co-worker's grandfather died from Covid recently. I got it easy.

I enjoyed reading other people's life experiences. I lived 2 years in a cabin with no electricity or water. Bathed in a stream, purified my drinking water with iodine since the water there was not clean. Never went seriously short on food, thankfully, but ate a lot of bland cheap stuff for years, and scavenged windfall apples and raided abandoned orchards for fruit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one. I like being a loaner, no drama I have to deal with. Now if I can find a farm and make just enough to $$ bills to get by I will be in Utopia
What you said right here ^ is exactly my dream.
Farm, middle of nowhere, farm land, not near any city, figure out how to get by with money & I'd be in heaven!

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,209 Posts
People trying to live better than their paycheck allows is apolitical, it paints red and blue with the same brush. Nice house, nice cars, fancy toys, and the repo man is just one financial hiccup away. Better to not care what the Joneses have and worry about your own peace of mind. Those of us that did not grow up with all the niceties appreciate what we do have and know how to make do when less is coming in. I really want to buy a Maxant 16 gal bottling tank. I could put it on a credit card and get it now, or I can sell another pail and a half of honey and pay cash. Guess which plan I choose.
hmm
sell a pail and a 1/2 of honey then do with out as you did not "need" it for the pail and a 1/2 :)

GG

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
If there was 1 Thing I could offer/teach a 20 Something year old it would be:

Live on 1/2 of your pay and stash the other 1/2,, Ideally in something to track Inflation, not the main point.
work 1/2 your life for the Man, then take the 1/2 you saved for 1/2 your life and live for "you" on that other half.

We allow the "expenses" to grow to match the income. That needs to be squashed.
When I went from 150 a month to 1800 when I started my carrier, I could have lived on 700 a month and "survived" Banking the 1100 a month for 20-30 years would have me retired and done with the 8-6 life.
Fortunately I did find a life mentor and did this for the last 1/3 of my working life.
Most professionals make well over a million dollars in there working days and retire almost broke.
I mean, average of 35K per year times 30 years is 1150K,, slight problem was we spent 1000K .

don't get me wrong, the skiing in the 90s was fun at Vail, Aspen, Lake Louise, and Banff.
trips to Europe in the 2000s was nice, trips to Montana and Colorado hunting in the 2010s was a gas, but not working in my 60s now, I would exchange for all that "fun"

life is about choices, too bad the media has so much input on the youth today.

GG

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
hmm
sell a pail and a 1/2 of honey then do with out as you did not "need" it for the pail and a 1/2 :)

GG
Ah, but a man has "needs". I like toys just as much as the next guy, I just choose to pay for mine up front. Took a long time to get to that stage. At some point I hope to build up to the sideliner package. I also need to get some really expensive electronics for my airplane to make it ADS-B compliant. Deferred gratification, I plan to make the bees pay for my other hobby as well.

Reactions: Cloverdale

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Live on 1/2 of your pay and stash the other 1/2,, Ideally in something to track Inflation, not the main point.
work 1/2 your life for the Man, then take the 1/2 you saved for 1/2 your life and live for "you" on that other half.
This is good advice, but hard to actually do and stick to.

If you cant to do this atleast put as much in your 401K/retirement as you can, and try to live with the only debt you carry is a mortgage and student loands (for a degree that pays for itself). I have upped how much I put in my 401K and/or mortage a few times when I got a raise at work, and hopefully I will be able to retire a bit early.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
This is good advice, but hard to actually do and stick to.

If you cant to do this atleast put as much in your 401K/retirement as you can, and try to live with the only debt you carry is a mortgage and student loands (for a degree that pays for itself). I have upped how much I put in my 401K and/or mortage a few times when I got a raise at work, and hopefully I will be able to retire a bit early.
Another great Tactic Elmer,

Let say you are saving 20% and Living on 80%,, You get a 10 percent raise, Yea,, new toys right :)
No resist,, keep the dollar amount of your living 80% the same,, and add the entire raise to the saving.
So now your living the same no sacrifice, but the savings had a 50% boost to "30%"

Agree is it hard to do.
Being old and broke is hard as well.
Just we make enough to be comfortable when retired, but have "toyed" it away in the younger years.

GG

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
We grew up with a garden and 2 self-employed parents who stressed, and I mean stressed the value of work. Sometimes I make myself busy just so I can say I'm busy because being lazy was the worst thing that could be said of you.

I wrote a novel here then abridged to:
It has taken many years to get stuff paid for and decide there is nothing I want bad enough to take on debt. I would have saved myself 20 years of grief by listening to my parents, but who couldn't say that? ;)

As to the OP's question, we are fortunate not to have been affected harshly by any of this other than our son having it a few weeks ago. He got over it in 8-10 days and neither me or my wife got it. I've had many friends and coworkers who either have it, or had it and so far no deaths so we are grateful. I got really sick around April exhibiting symptoms I've never had. Figured out it was from watching news. Cut it off and I was fine within hours.

Also happy to report in my travels this year among different ppl groups that we are not so polarized and divided, and folks still treat each other with respect by-and-large. We don't all hate each other as this box I hung on wall tries to tell me.

Much more concerning is the mental/emotional effect on young folks who believe what comes from a screen.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
625 Posts
Like a lady living in 5-bedroom house with 2 cats should not be complaining of "paycheck to paycheck" hard living.
Greg are you living secretly behind me ?
LOL, not a house but a 5 bedroom duplex, but it is so super cheap and I did have my 2 kids with me, just one now.
lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

We allow the "expenses" to grow to match the income. That needs to be squashed.
When I went from 150 a month to 1800 when I started my carrier, I could have lived on 700 a month and "survived" Banking the 1100 a month for 20-30 years would have me retired and done with the 8-6 life.
This is on point. We always anticipate living for the moment that we forget to save for the future. I would have loved to have done this. And I guess this would be hard for those who have kids 'cause whether they like it or not, the expenses are just left and right. I could only imagine how people who don't have savings are struggling with the current depletion.

Anyhow, check this article from CDC Communities, Schools, Workplaces, & Events It's coping strategies for employees during this trying time. Have a look at it when you get the chance.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts