Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The year is almost over but things are still pretty crazy, even politics which I'm not fond of talking about. Our hobbies keep us happy but then there's this moment when you get to think about the future. Like for how long will this be going on. So we'll probably be doing what we're doing these past months for a couple of months or even years more?

How about you guys? How have you been holding up? Has this virus caused some issue with your everyday lives or your mental health?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Nope, honestly virtually no effect. I am a bit of a loner, now I have an excuse.

Reactions: jbell and Fivej

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,209 Posts
Black owl,

This really has opened my eyes to how gullible some people are. We have OMG I cannot leave my house, to I'M not takin no stinking Vaccine, all aware of and exposed to the same "media" sources.. Sherly their message is not that confuzing...
so I work from Home, as well I am mostly a loner so this is for the most part has caused little change, other than the kids are doing school here, not sure that is a good long term plan but for the first year an interesting option.

In Line with the thread label I really hope we do not go the way of Japan.
Dealing with stress is also something learned, not much we have on the way of instincts.

"Well, human beings are born with three things psychologically: a fear of loud noises, phonophobia, a fear of falling, basophobia, and an IQ score. However, like all other animals, **** Sapiens have two basic instincts: self-preservation, and survival of the species. The first one is stronger than the latter. "

May be a teaching moment if you have friends who managed to skip the dealing with stress, lesson in life.

GG

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
How about you guys? How have you been holding up?
I don't know what is the big deal.
The only real fuss I have - they had to cancel athletic season (maybe more!) for my kids.
This is mostly a joke, though.

Otherwise, what is the big deal again?
The worst non-sense I am tired of reading - "wah, wah, we can not go to restaurants"...
Heck, learn some healthy cooking for a change.

Read about Stalingrad battle or something for a good prospective.

Learn what happened with the "cambodia red khmer"

What about "idi amin tyrant of Uganda"

People are too soft anymore IMO.
This is not even funny - the detachment from the hard, physical reality.
We have it so good - we should not be complaining.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Read "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius. Read more on stoics.

There are things you can control in life, and things you can not.

If you get sick, it is outside of your control.

If you die (and one day you will) this too is outside of your control.

What's inside of your control?

Your general health, eat healthy, exercise, loose weight, control your existing health problems.
Your exposure to the public. If you're worried about exposure, limit large gatherings, go to the store after hours.
Your exposure to the media. Turn off the TV.

Learn about exponential growth. Every day the media fear mongers "This is the worst day of the pandemic, the most deaths ever!". The next day it is the same thing, and the day after that the same again. That is the nature of exponential growth.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
OK, there could be real downers to be fair:
  • you lost your family members/friends due to COVID
  • you lost your job
  • you lost your business
  • you work in the ER department

These kinds of things I can understand. These are bad enough.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
558 Posts
What you are saying about depression is legitimate. Reasons are varied. Nothing wrong with being down sometimes. We are after all, human. Our best medicine is being in the present moment. Our bees teach us that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The year is almost over but things are still pretty crazy, even politics which I'm not fond of talking about. Our hobbies keep us happy but then there's this moment when you get to think about the future. Like for how long will this be going on. So we'll probably be doing what we're doing these past months for a couple of months or even years more?

How about you guys? How have you been holding up? Has this virus caused some issue with your everyday lives or your mental health?
I have had moments but now I mostly focus on working on myself and let the world take care of itself. There are things I have no control over. It best not to focus on it too much.

·
Registered
585 Posts
OK, there could be real downers to be fair:
  • you lost your family members/friends due to COVID
  • you lost your job
  • you lost your business
  • you work in the ER department

These kinds of things I can understand. These are bad enough.
Agreed, there are reasons why this is hard for certain folks, and I don't want to downplay that, at all. But those (so far) have had minimal impact on my life.

What you are saying about depression is legitimate. Reasons are varied. Nothing wrong with being down sometimes. We are after all, human. Our best medicine is being in the present moment. Our bees teach us that.
Agreed. It is OK to have downswings, this is seen throughout nature.

However, fixating on circumstances that we cannot change is not healthy. The news media does its best to make sure we do that. The Election! The Pandemic! China! I can do nothing about these (even if I wanted to), so they get little of my time.

Choose to be free. Then be free, in whatever circumstance you live in.

·
Registered
366 Posts
There are a lot of outside events that affect how we feel...if we let it. When you get up in the AM thank GOD you have been given another day! Think positive, look outside and think of your blessings, shelter, water, food, family, and bees for entertainment. If you feel sorry for yourself think about the thousands of GI's all over the world who have not had a shower in 3 weeks, no hot meal except MREs, and sleeping on the ground when you can. Crapping in a slit trench and drinking muddy water... and I could go on. There is some one always worse off than you, be thankful for what you have, don't worry about things you don't/can't control, be positive. A lot of survival is state of mind. If you don't like your situation in life, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Heroes don't wear capes; they wear dogtags! (USAF 66-72)

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I was feeling a little down until I learned my wife and daughter ( both RN's in critical care) will be vaccinated this week. And then the 2021 Betterbee catalog arrived. Feeling much better now. J

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
We’ve been up and down here. Husband had some other health conditions so we work very hard to stay as safe as possible. Parents are 80 and I live far away so I’m always worried about them getting sick. We are professional musicians who are lucky to have day jobs teaching remotely. Many of our colleagues are struggling financially and emotionally because of the situation. Most are trying to pivot into other work for now. We are glad to see the vaccine coming.

I think it’s normal to experience some depression. This is certainly not a normal time for anyone.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,531 Posts
Life for me has not changed much this past year. I go to work at my day job repairing propane and fuel oil trucks, I go home and play with the bees. I do a little less side work since my restaurant and food truck customers are not doing as much business. I drink more beer.

·
Registered
11,481 Posts
As a teenager I lived for 2 years in a shack in the bush due to various circumstances. Cooked on a fire, washed in a dam. I worked for a beekeeper which was mostly by myself, he was old and sick, I just had to keep it all going for him. Each Sunday a very kind family who lived further down the road would take me to Church and then have me over for Sunday lunch. That was my main human contact.

I know what it is to be lonely.

Here we had a 6 week covid lockdown, I could not believe the complaining and objections. Especially when it was for a good purpose, and the alternative would have been much worse.

First world problems, in my view.

Some people may have been offended by my attitude to idiots who object to wearing a mask, or social distancing, because of their "rights". However I think they are spoiled brats who have been sheltered all their lives or live in a bubble.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,209 Posts
As a teenager I lived for 2 years in a shack in the bush due to various circumstances. Cooked on a fire, washed in a dam. I worked for a beekeeper which was mostly by myself, he was old and sick, I just had to keep it all going for him. Each Sunday a very kind family who lived further down the road would take me to Church and then have me over for Sunday lunch. That was my main human contact.

I know what it is to be lonely.

Here we had a 6 week covid lockdown, I could not believe the complaining and objections. Especially when it was for a good purpose, and the alternative would have been much worse.

First world problems, in my view.

Some people may have been offended by my attitude to idiots who object to wearing a mask, or social distancing, because of their "rights". However I think they are spoiled brats who have been sheltered all their lives or live in a bubble.
Well said,
what we have "endured" in the past has bearing on what sacrifice really is, for us.
When I was in College, I "lived" on 150 Bucks a month, for 3 years, due to the job , part time, I had it was all there was. that was rent , food, lights, and entertainment.
I collected deer hit by cars, asked for produce in gardens that seemed to not be harvested, asked for apples under trees on the ground. for the most part folks allowed me to scavenge from these places. Had a lot of roast Squash, and pumpkin, and applesauce. BYW carved pumpkins do cook up ok if you do not put a candle in them. Venison makes a good stew with onions, carrots, mangles, rutabagas, what ever. I checked out books in the library on edible plants. Some days all I had was my "walkabout Salad" Learned where plantain and dandelion grew, red raspberry leaves, and asparagus in the spring, still a fav of mine.
O and walked uphill both ways to College :)
I now have 4 degrees, am employable, and do not suffer from the experience,,, much :).

IMO kids today give up way to quick. had it too easy for too long "miss sets" expectations.

Well said Oldtimer

GG

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
I had some experiences growing up that are similar to GG and Oldtimers'; makes me laugh that some people are wailing about minor inconveniences today. Not knocking some of the real grief and hardships that the pandemic and its spinoffs is causing to many people.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I laugh (shake my head actually) when I hear the words "historically unprecedented" tossed around. Yup, rarely in history have we been this well off.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,531 Posts
...rarely in history have we been this well off.
I keep hearing about the "poor" people in this country that have such luxuries as color TVs, cell phones, computers, etc. I remember that our TV was a B&W that my dad built from a Heathkit. We ate such fruits and veggies as my Mom could get as culls from the local stands. Many hours spent around the kitchen table with a box or two of tomatoes, or other in season produce, cutting out the bad spots so we could cook and can them. All our bread came from the day old bakery store. I still cringe when I see people toss out perfectly good food because it has reached the expiration date on the package. Christmas was special because our new clothes came from Sears and Roebucks, and not the local thrift store.

My sympathies go out to those who have done their very best to make life work, only to have the politicians take their livelihood away from them for the "common good".

Reactions: Annmariep

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I like to tell my kids about how great the Japanese oranges were at Christmas. The big prize was the soft tissue for the out house!

I recall the first black and white TV, getting indoor plumbing, riding rough and cold school busses at 7:35AM, shoveling off the slough for most of Saturday to be able to play hockey on Sunday, etc.

However, it didn't seem like hardships. Looking back, there was not near the conveniences we have today, however that was life.

My sympathies to those who have lost loved ones, losing jobs, and businesses.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts