Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not with a bang but a whimper.

It was a very mild spring, we had two events where we got freezes and had two of the spring wind storms that strip the trees of blooms. Combine with what was a good moisture level that suddenly went to dry and I am afraid that spring will transform to summer rather quickly. The last few days the bees seem to have gone back to a lazy approach, not the previous intent and quick flying.

I was hoping for another couple of weeks but we could be done early in SC.

How is it for you?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Drowning in rain here in central ME. Could be worse, could be snowing...still a risk of that for another two or three weeks.

Reactions: LarryBud

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
The first fruit tree in my neighborhood just started blooming and there are a lot of dandelions blooming so spring is just starting for me. We could use rain because we are having days and days of dry winds blowing. But all that is out of my control. I just bought some leftover queens and I am off to requeen my meanest and a couple weak colonies. We do what we can for our bees and hope for the best.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Not with a bang but a whimper.

It was a very mild spring, we had two events where we got freezes and had two of the spring wind storms that strip the trees of blooms. Combine with what was a good moisture level that suddenly went to dry and I am afraid that spring will transform to summer rather quickly. The last few days the bees seem to have gone back to a lazy approach, not the previous intent and quick flying.

I was hoping for another couple of weeks but we could be done early in SC.

How is it for you?
I'm in NE Georgia. the same thing here. The fruit trees are finished. Clover is strong. Wild black raspberry is fading.
We usually have a break in May until the wild privet starts blooming. That will last a month.
Then the summer flowers, sumac, sourwood, basswood, and decorative landscaping trees carry us until the end of July.
Hopefully we will have more goldenrod this year for the fall.
I usually start feeding in the middle of July until the bees stop flying in the fall.

You might like this list of pollen sources. It is for zone 5 so a month or so behind your area's schedule.

Here is the nectar list:

·
Registered
424 Posts
In northeastern Illinois some dandelions going to seed already, but bees are working what's left of them. We've had a dry spring, roughly 60% less than average rain fall up to now. Had some unseasonally warm days already and this weekend is supposed to be in the 80s, but very windy. It feels like it's been a windier spring than usual. My bees are about 2-3 weeks behind to where they were last year at this time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts