Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought that this might help other 1st year beeks as winter comes.
I am not having any robbing but our Dearth was bad in my area :( Almost all around us had good rain but we seemed to have missed just about all of it.
I have been feeding here and there and being very cautious about robbing or bringing more bees around.

I was in the hives a few weeks ago and they are good but need to fill up more for Winter.

Window screen inside an empty medium that has my feeding bins in it (just that ever bins I could make fit). They hold about a gallon of syrup in each hive. I fed them Sunday morning early early while it was still semi dark and cool out. They are empty today. It has been raining all day today too so this was good timing for a feeding in the evening before it got dark out.

Here is a Video of what I did to help you visualize.
https://youtu.be/cOvusCdDiE0

·
Registered
327 Posts
best fall closed feeder

Feed fast. I'm open feeding, but I want to switch to closed feeding or a combination (closed + open). Last year I had 3 hives (3.3 mediums of comb ea.). I open fed 100 lbs in 3 days. I think I could've gotten that to 2 days. I fed sugar bricks fall to spring. It was a success. This year, with around the same temperature, open feeding failed. I fed 5 hives (2.5 med. comb ea.) 174 lbs in 5 days. Unlike last year, I tried feeding farther away (16 m) and out of sight. It was a failure. I probably lost $40 of sugar. When I equalized, stores looked half capped. With near even strengths, I thought the weak hive would get >10% of what the strong hive got. Today I open fed another 100 lbs as close to the hives as possible.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Hey, whatever works! I think GregV would approve of using whatever is available. J
Never bought stuff called "feeders". A rip off.
I use coffee bags, cereal/granola/snack bags, salad containers, zip bags, trash bags, peanut butter jars, milk jags, meat trays.... you name it.
Pretty much anything that goes into a recycling bin can be used to feed bees in various configurations and minimal work.

In my book, keeping bees is nothing but recycling and up-cycling of stuff (and this includes the bees themselves too!).

·
Registered
Two 8-frame Langstroth hives
184 Posts
Pretty much anything that goes into a recycling bin can be used to feed bees in ...nothing but recycling and up-cycling of stuff.
I like your thinking there Greg. I also sell honey in up-cycled jars. Does not make too much sense to me to throw away hundreds of jars a year (used just once), and buy new ones to sell/give honey. I only have honey from two hives anyway.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, whatever works! I think GregV would approve of using whatever is available. J
Never bought stuff called "feeders". A rip off.
I use coffee bags, cereal/granola/snack bags, salad containers, zip bags, trash bags, peanut butter jars, milk jags, meat trays.... you name it.
Pretty much anything that goes into a recycling bin can be used to feed bees in various configurations and minimal work.

In my book, keeping bees is nothing but recycling and up-cycling of stuff (and this includes the bees themselves too!).
The "bins" I have inside are small top desk drawers that were never used that I've had for 15 years lol. The 3rd hive has 2 plastic $1 store containers. You just have to make sure they can climb up the sides to get in so I draped and shoved inside some burlap strips. So they can get in and also not drown.

Seacucumber, I won't open feed anymore because I may have gotten robbing, I wasn't home to tell for sure. And we hada dearth too. But sugar is too $$ right now to feed the wasps and other peoples bees. Lol

BTW I would have put #8 wire but I can't find it anywhere local. The window screen works very well though and I may just invert the super, leave screen and fill with shavings for the Winter.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Think of it - you can add syrup directly through the screen - no need to open up anything.
Just pour syrup right though the screen as you have flat feeders - stupid simple approach.
Pretty cool.

Unsure if this is what you do - was not clear to me.

I would not do it myself (no need for me and too many hives for the approach), but a perfectly fine way in your case.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
I like your thinking there Greg. I also sell honey in up-cycled jars. Does not make too much sense to me to throw away hundreds of jars a year (used just once), and buy new ones to sell/give honey. I only have honey from two hives anyway.
Yep; exactly.
Old times they did not have as much plastic and glass disposable containers.
Nowadays abundance of recyclables is both - a terrible problem and and a god-sent resource (IF used).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Think of it - you can add syrup directly through the screen - no need to open up anything.
Just pour syrup right though the screen as you have flat feeders - stupid simple approach.
Pretty cool.

Unsure if this is what you do - was not clear to me.

I would not do it myself (no need for me and too many hives for the approach), but a perfectly fine way in your case.
Yes that is what I do, sorry I thought that was clear.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sea cucumber...
This is syrup feeding in Fall for winter.
Why would you feed 50# dry sugar in the Fall ?
I don't think that is how it's done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts