Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I did a cutout tonight and we did well during the cutout phase. We got to the beeyard right at dark. Quickly jumped into our suits and tried to hive the bees. The came out of the vac box in a rage. Somehow, I got a bee in my suit that stung me on the ear. My son got two bees in his suit, one sting to the shoulder and he squished the next bee inside his veil with his gloved hand.

We may have won the first part of the battle but we surely lost the second part. We were being stung thru out suits so badly (and inside) that we couldn't even begin to put a lid on them. I'll wait till in the morning.

The comb ran vertically 4-5 feet up the wall of this abandoned old house.

Here's a pic.

·
Registered
232 Posts
that's an awsome sight ....until you take the first layer off....then you can hardly see it through the bees....I did a cut-out that was in a gable where they ran the 2x's horizontally on 30"centers....16 feet long by 30" tall by6"thick...5 layers of comb at a slight diagonal about 2feet long all the way across...I brought 5 sweat pants&8 turtle neck shirts....once a set got wet enough to give them stingers some lube I ran to the truck&changed...still ended up with 28 successful bees...still a good ratio...there were a lot of bees

·
Registered
224 Posts
Beautiful comb on the right, gnarly looking comb on the left. It can get pretty hairy when the girls don't want to cooperate.
Great looking pictures and look at it this way you won't forget this one for awhile!!:)
Thanks for sharing the pictures with us!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We were able to collect more than half of a 5 gallon bucket of "capped" honey. What a treasure.

The bees were so mad after driving an hour and 40 mins and then immediately trying to hive them. It was painful.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Another beek & I are set to do a cutout on Tuesday and I sure hope the comb looks that good. Old farmhouse, so of course they started building at the top of the second story. Homeowner loosened wood siding in Feb and said the comb was at least 4 feet long. We're both hoping it's running perpendicular to the stud cavity and not parallel. Yee-haw!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Full comb sheets like that are a removers dream come true. Makes fitting comb sections to frames a breeze.

Bees get pissed often enough when caged up. Keep a bottle of sugar water with you & give them a little spray before dumping them. Smoking them a little is often a good antidote as well.

...JP

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
A bee vac could definately help you keep the population down as well. Great pictures, thanks for sharing and good luck finishing the job with minimal casualties to you and your son.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts