Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Some interesting reading on the whole site. He is not a big promoter of wishful thinking or "flash in the pan" enthusiasm based on the theme of "Save the Bees".

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Probably would if it was posted in the TF forum. J
I think he would be well equipped to handle a debate but I dont think he is looking for a fight. His approach is very similar to advice I received from our retired bee inspector who until recently ran a hundred or so of his own hives. Definitely not "Set it and forget it" kind of guys!

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
If you guys were to read the tag lines once in a while, you would know that the author of the Apiarist is none other than our very own fatshark. And I agree that he could probably hold his own in a treatment vs. TF debate.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I of got the same message from Randy Oliver's June ABJ article on breeding for mite resistance. If Randy with 1500 hives can only get 4% that MAY show some resistance but not guaranteed to be heritable then me with my forty some hives doesn't have a chance (or at least a reasonable chance) to produce any resistant bees. For now I will keep hitting them with OAV and enjoying 100% over winter survival. Hopefully someone does breed a resistant bee but the numbers show it's not going to be a small timer like myself with little to no control over the local drone population. The last paragraph in bold print on page 659 says it all. I could however work on my bees pure evil disposition. They are mean!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts