Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked my bottom board on one of my hives this morning. I a few mites crawling around. Not sure the type of mites. Suggestions on dealing with them would be appreciated.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Put your hive on a screened bottom board (ipm). They fall through screen and get in oil trap or sticky board and perish. Works on shb also.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I thought. Looked like the photo on Wikipedia. Anybody using Apivar to treat? Considering it since it is approved here in Florida. Other suggestions?

·
Registered
207 Posts
It is defiantly Varroa There are many treatments available if that is how you choose to go, Oxilic (spelling) Acid is very effective. I have a sort of mentor/friend and he used it last fall. and only lost 5 hives out of over 50. =096wwet546809r

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would do a sugar roll to check your mite load, then treat if necessary. I've had good luck with MAQS (Mite Away Quick Strips)- just watch the temperature range for treatment. They are a formic acid pad that may be placed in the hive with honey supers on. As always, read and follow all directions carefully.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I would do a sugar roll to check your mite load, then treat if necessary.
This is good advice. In some areas, treatment will not be necessary. In others, people lose a lot of bees due to varroa. You need to learn how to tell if the infestation is low, medium, or high -- and this will depend on the time of year. A few mites do not mean the hive will die. Lots of good advice online on how to count the mite levels.

In a recent survey in NJ, beekeepers who treated with the newer products sustained winter losses of 20% or less and those who did nothing to treat for varroa lost 65% of their hives on average. Those that treated with powdered sugar lost even more — 72%.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts