Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I'm visiting in Raleigh for a conference. Yesterday, my wife & I were strolling through the NC State arboretum & I was surprised to not see any bees in any flowering trees or other flowers. I guess I assumed there would be some out & about. You have a beautiful state from what we've been able to see so far. Glad your bees are busy!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Mine were busy this last weekend as well, but it's supposed to get cold this weekend, maybe even more snow.

Knowing the cold was coming back, I opened them up and gave them some pollen yesterday. Hopefully this will keep them going.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine have been rockin' and rollin' and bringing back pollen in Winston-Salem too.
Unfortunately had the chance to clean out my dead-out from the wind storm a few weeks ago:

·
Registered
105 Posts
lost more hives in march then any other month to starvein. they buildin up quick an weather is iffy. they can go thru some stores. if you started feedin
keep on til they quit takein. im hopein the rain dont hit like it did last year.

·
Registered
261 Posts
me three :) actually last year we got very lucky. our small pocket area seemed to do better then most in NC and averaged 75lbs surplus per hive. i have a friend who is only 8 miles away and we pretty much followed same process throughout the year and he got about half as much surplus honey. Amazing he was that close and got a lot more rain. Mother Nature is a mysterious beast sometimes.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where I live in the foothills, it rained if not every day but every other day through April and May. By June most of mine were having to be fed, then sourwood produced nothing, so I had to keep feeding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts