Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hive that was started from a nuc in late April. It's a 10 frame deep, with a medium on top of that. Before they had the frames built out in the medium, I noticed that there was a huge congregation of bees between the frames and the screened bottom board. I mean heavy! Everything else in the hive looked to be normal. About 8 days ago they had 8 of the 10 frames in the medium drawn out so I added a queen excluder honey super with 9 frames. I figured they may be needing something to do and the congestion would go away when I added that super. Its still thick between the screened bottom and the frames in the brood box. Its not slowing down traffic but they are really heavy on the bottom. Is this something normal or are they trying to tell me something? This hive has really been going good since day one. Like I said everything looks normal and there is plenty of traffic. Yesterday I removed a green drone frame that was capped over to check for mites, not a mite one that I could find. No dead bees laying around, no fighting at the entrance, they are not too aggressive and at the same time, they are very active.

I am in my second year and to be honest, this is my first strong hive. So, I am not really sure if it is a normal thing or not. They are not bearding on the outside, they all look good and healthy. Temperature here has been in the lower 90's during the day and 80 or so at night.

Should I be concerned or is this behavior acceptable?

Rob

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i'd remove the excluder and give'em a second deep, they sound like they need more room for brood. good luck,mike

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it best to put the second deep under the first deep and let them go down, or put it on top of the deep that is in place now?

Rob

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
most put'em on top, but in the end it makes little difference. if they need it, they will fill it. i'd put it on top of the other deep, and pull up a frame of brood to rush'em a bit, the flow will be over in a couple weeks. good luck,mike

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
did you put 9 frames of comb or foundation? If you are using foundation it should be 10 frames tight together till they are drawn, then you can space them out.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put in about half drawn frames and about half new pierco frames. So, I need to put 10 in there till they draw it out, then space it back down to 9?
No one ever told me that, so I didnt really think of that. Makes sense, though.

It's kinda confusing to me. There are plenty of bees in each box in the hive, not over cowded, but there are plenty of bees. Why would they hang out at the bottom and not move on up stairs where there is room to work? Is it because the life cycle they are in? I do not understand enough about their society just yet to piece it all together.

Is it ok to add that second brood box and leave the super on top? If so, how do you know if you are giving them too much extra room? What determines whether you add another deep or a medium?

Rob

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Another thing you could do is put a med or deep of foundation on the bottom, just to give the extra bees a place to hang out. To be removed at a later date.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts