Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost all four of my hives this winter. I had one hive going into last summer. It swarmed and I captured it. I then split the original again it when it still looked way over-crowded, and then it swarmed again, and I caught that one as well. All four were (i thought) healthy enough to over-winter here in Michigan. Three died relatively quickly. I think they starved to death. I had feeder boxes on with sugar, but it was so cold for so long that I couldn't open them to refill. When it finally did warm up and I went out to check, the sugar was gone and they were dead. The remaining hive seemed really strong. I went out yesterday and found it was completely dead. Lots of sugar left. No honey left to speak of, but plenty of sugar. I suspect they froze to death. A 3/4" pine box is no match for weeks of sub-zero temperatures.

I'm going to try again. I'd like to order a couple packages - does anyone know a good supplier that still has packages available for (relatively) early delivery to Michigan? Also - what is the best way to store all the drawn frames I have now until I get my new bees? A lot of them still have bees in a lot of the cells - do I need to take them all out, or just shake out the loose ones and let the new bees clean the rest?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Good luck finding bees now so get on the phone and check around try Don Lamb near Holland

·
Registered
635 Posts
as far as I know AWS bees from the flint area still has bees available. Italians and carnies that come in from Oliverez in CA. I got some nucs last year from the traverse city area via craigslist...you might try checking on there.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'll second locally produced nucs if you can find them. Although, having drawn comb will let packages take off.

Did you check mite levels?

It is never to cold to quickly pop the top off and add more feed. It is best to make sure they have enough stores in the hive before winter. Late summer/early fall feeding when necessary is better than winter rescue/emergency feeding.

Make sure your drawn comb stays safe.

Tom

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yeah, its really late in the year, but I got my first package even later than this, as I recall, so it can be done.

Call around, see if you get lucky. Otherwise, ask if there is a waiting list you can be put on in case someone cancels an order.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Don Lam out of Holland. Best price around. Gets then from Georgia. End of April delivery. FYI my package from him survived this winter.... just sayin. Guy in greenville, MI (grand rapids Craigslist) is selling 5 frame local nucs.... $130.00
also there is a guy around grand rapids Rod
he put me on the list for a nuc
I will go whit local nuc then south package

·
Registered
635 Posts
The nucs out of Greenville may not be exactly what you think they are. I know some of the nucs are wintered down south. With that said, I did buy some of them last year and was happy with them. Just make sure to ask where they wintered so you'4e not making an incorrect assumption.

·
Registered
635 Posts
If you've ever heard of mdasplitter.com they are out of Wyoming...the city not the state. They might be able to sell you bees. never dealt with them, but they are pretty serious about queen rearing from what I've read in the past.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts