Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday, I performed my first inspection this year of my overwintered hive. I was happy that they survived but amazed at what I found.

I had them in two deeps and a medium. With the exception of those frames that had brood, it was all filled with honey the last time I checked in early October. It was virtually empty of honey on Saturday. Many frames had bees with their rear ends sticking out. Clearly they starved. But what really astonished me was that below the slotted rack, there were maybe ten thousand dead bees. They were a grayish, powdery mess. It was sad to see. The interesting thing, though, is that there are probably that many live bees up in the brood boxes.

I didn't find the queen but there was brood. I was distracted by everything else so I am hoping she is okay. In October, there were two queens. I am guessing they jettisoned the marked queen somewhere along the way.

Everyone here kept speaking about the "Mountain Camp" method so I did it several weeks ago just to be on the safe side. I am glad I did. I suspect it sustained them.

All-in-all it is a pretty fascinating hobby. I thought I'd left them a ridiculous amount of honey. But, I figured I'd have a bumper crop of honey this spring if I left them plenty of sustenance. Wrong! I wasn't planning on feeding them but I am doing so now to help them out any way that I can. Note to self: take more photos next time!

frame.jpg

·
Registered
273 Posts
It was an unusually long cold winter. I lost many of my hives. Just be glad your girls made it at all. You may want to keep an entrance reducer on if they are low in numbers, robbing is also very common in the early part of the year.

JC

·
Registered
273 Posts
Almost certainly mold growing on the dead bees. Just clean it out and it should be fine, the bees will finish housekeeping when their numbers increase. Beerz, about how many frames do they have left? Sometimes a hive will have so few numbers that they have a problem getting going again, because there is not enough bees to cover brood.

JC

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, green2btree, it must be mold. I cleaned off the bottom board of all the dead. On the frames where the bees froze in place I scraped them away along with the mold. I'd guess there are still 7k - 9k of bees left. I am hoping they pull through.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It looks like your weather is about to turn warmer mid-week....once the daytime temps are consistently over 50/55, you may want to try giving them some 1:1 or 5:3 syrup...if you're not seeing pollen coming in, maybe some patty's. It sounds like you have enough to get a good start though...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts