Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it just finished with two days of continuous rain so maybe that has something to do with it.. but the bees are coming and going like crazy today and my local bee inspector tells me the flow is finished... should I still go ahead and harvest here in Charlotte NC or have the bees found a unique source of nectar that I should let them collect?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Michael... its good to know that there is not some window of opportunity that i am missing out on by not harvesting when the flow is "supposedly over".....

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
fastpaced

I assume your season has been similar to mine where we had a terribly dry spring but now we're getting above average rain
I'm a newbie but I would speculate this might result in a bit of a late flow

Dave

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I don't know where the "flow is over" info is coming from, but in the last week I have seen the first blooms from the Mimosa, the Abelia, the Magnolia, and a dozen other blooms. My bees are working like there's no tommorrow. I am in the midst of as good a flow as I could ever ask for. It may last and it may not, but right now it is full blast.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
hey iddee, I wishI had your luck up there. we had some heavy rain, maybe this will turn into nectar ina few weeks. But the italians I have are robbing everyone else like crazy, since that is the only way (maybe best way) to get nectar righ t now.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Yes, the sourwood is one of the dozen others, along with crepe myrtle and more. All my strong hives look like a swarm emerging all day long, except there are just as many arriving.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Something is blooming all the time here. I realize most of these "Flows" references mean a lot of something is available... but I don't think we ever have a complete void. Derth means scarcity. I think its relative. Does not mean complete absense.

I also saw Mammosa and I am seeing early Goldenrod and many Summer Flower Gardens and many of the Vegetable gardens are coming into bloom. Plus the white clover is blooming over and over again. They busy on something.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This afternoon I went to my hives and they were as busy as I had seen them in the past couple of weeks. I went to the woods to check on the sourwood and thay were really working it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
maybe thats what my bees are working ... what color is the pollen form the sour wood ... I see them bringing in big sacks of off white and light orange looking stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts