Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even as a novice amateur I know better than to undo what they have done, but curiosity killed the cat. Any thoughts on causes IMG_3645.jpg IMG_3642.jpg . See photos. the far left entrance is completely closed, the one next to it has been shut down to single bee at a time.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
1garysaccount "to single bee at a time." I am very curious as to how you ended up with holes for bee entrances??? I changed about three years ago to a thick, plastic plate. Through hoels are just large enough for worker bees with pollen, including drones and appraently slimmed down queens trying to swarm. I did this to manage robbing, prevent mice intrusion and allow easy OAV heater installation by raising the plate ( slotted holes). I have been very happy with the design.

Last year I had a nuc I thought was being robbed. I taped over all but two holes. Robbing seemed to stop. It seems bees do not like sticking their heads into strange,dark holes. After a week or so I noticed the bees had cut perfect holes out of the tape and added two more entrance/exit holes. In summer on big healthy hives I simply raise the plate with a stick stuck undrneath the plate. The plate, in winter, also seems to shed ice / snow quickly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1garysaccount "to single bee at a time." I am very curious as to how you ended up with holes for bee entrances??? I changed about three years ago to a thick, plastic plate. Through hoels are just large enough for worker bees with pollen, including drones and appraently slimmed down queens trying to swarm. I did this to manage robbing, prevent mice intrusion and allow easy OAV heater installation by raising the plate ( slotted holes). I have been very happy with the design.
Robert- we were gifted our TBHs by a quite amazing wood working grafts person who was also our initial mentor. Not sure exactly where he got the plans from but they included narrow end facing holes 5 each and standard wine corks fit to close them off as the weather turns. This is one of 4 hives with that design and is actually the furthest away from the other three by a good 100 feet and stands by itself. FULL hive front to back with brood and honey comb and started as a successful blind split middle of April. The hives have a hinged lid with pitched roof vented at each end AND a handle on top with a vent ridge directly under it. Bottom screen and sliding sticky board also there. This spring I put a 1 1/4" thick board on the stands and then lifted the hive off that by 1/2" for summer ventilation. The theory is once we are done with the hot weather, the stickers will be removed and the hive will sit on the thick board, but the sticky board can be removed for OAV, or I can prop the hives back up with the stickers and OAV that. I doubt any of that is causality. It is the only hive of 4 with that design where the bees have done this, and only started/completed the task in the last 72 hours. Busy as bees absolutely. Will be watching to see if they close off the one completely and/or start closing off others.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I've seen exactly the same 'entrance reduction' with a couple of 5-frame nuc boxes - so it does happen sometimes. And yet it's not happened with dozens of other hives with the same style of entrance (ALL of my hives have 22mm (wine-cork size) holes for entrances). As you Americans are fond of saying: "go figure". :)
LJ

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen exactly the same 'entrance reduction' with a couple of 5-frame nuc boxes - so it does happen sometimes. And yet it's not happened with dozens of other hives with the same style of entrance (ALL of my hives have 22mm (wine-cork size) holes for entrances). As you Americans are fond of saying: "go figure". :)
LJ
little john- thanks and indeed go figure. :) Definitely not going to undo what they felt obligated to do. Just going to watch to see if they shut things down on their own. If they do, depending on how much entry ways they left, I may not close off any come our version of winter.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
little john- thanks and indeed go figure. :) Definitely not going to undo what they felt obligated to do. Just going to watch to see if they shut things down on their own. If they do, depending on how much entry ways they left, I may not close off any come our version of winter.
Hiya - as well as those 5-frame nuc boxes (photographs of which I've mislaid) seems this also happened to another box, which I'd completely forgotten about.
There's a shot of the entrance holes at: http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/trip2017_01.htm - second picture down. It's really odd that this happens from time to time, yet it doesn't happen in a predictable way with every hive.
'Tis really curious.
LJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts