I am in mid-MD. It is swarm season. This pic is of a 6x6 in two 10 frame deeps. It is a nuc from last spring I used for resources and tried keeping small. Going into winter it had 6 frames in top and 6 frames in the bottom deep, both sets of frames flanked by follower boards. The remaining gap was filled in both boxes with 2" foil-backed solid foam insulation with edges also wrapped in foil tape. Despite removing resource frames, it got away from me and I could not keep it to 5x5 so had to go to 6x6. Putting in a 10x10 box worked amazingly well, but it never really got very cold here for any length of time. The colony got scary big. Pic shows what I faced two days ago. BTW, it contained several capped swarm cells. Too often I have seen called cells yet no swarming. I no longer say that the swarm will take off as soon as the first cell is capped. I wonder how that ever got started. In the top box I found queen #1. In the bottom box I found queen #2. Both unmarked. Ha! A first for me. But I also found a capped queen cell adhering to the follower board! See pic. Go figure. In the pic of the hive you can see the foil-wrapped insulation peeking out from beneath the bees. With 6 frames and 2 follower boards, I could just comfortably tuck in the wider foam insulation. But it was a snug fit. Next time I try overwintering a double nuc in a ten framer, I will limit it to 5 frames.