Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the flow was supposed to slow down sometime. They just keep on going here in Suburban Indy! This is my second year and first with multiple hives and adding honey supers. I thought I was gonna ease into 4 hives over a few years. No one told me about swarms and nucs and splits. "Beekeeping for Dummies" didn't warn me that the dang bugs reproduce their colonies and not just themselves.

Between assembling frames and learning to build boxes to try to keep up with them, I'm worn out! Not really but it sure is time consuming right now. I should just buy the stuff but I like to make things and am cheap to boot!

I'm pretty sure I am going to get 6 supers worth of honey in a couple weeks. What the heck am I gonna do with all that honey? I never thought I'd be selling it this soon but I guess I will. At any rate, I sure am learning a lot and you all sure do help with that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I try to do most of my assembly and wood working in the winter. Use winters to get ahead and strings/summers are more fun ;)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I know what you mean! I didn't do splits this year, should have. Next year. Need to make 24 shallow supers this winter since it looks like I need 5 or 6 per hive in a good year, and plan to have four hives next year, maybe six. That means 30 supers at least, and I only have 12 (not counting the two I put together tonight that still need handles).

You will need to bottle and sell that honey -- not that you will always get that much, this is a good year -- but no need for it to go to waste. You should also check around in the local grocery stores, usually there is a fairly large outfit selling locally bottled honey, and they will often buy your excess. I've been quoted $1.65 a pound, which isn't a huge amount of money, but better than having too much and no time to sell it. I can also probably sell 5 gallon buckets (60 pounds) to a local brewery.

Peter

·
Registered
825 Posts
You go to the supermarket and get canning jars....make a road sign or two using Sharpies and a corrugated sign from your closest box store, and SELL the honey! "Local" "Pure" "All Natural" etc! $10 a pound...trust me...you'll sell it! Put a nice ribbon around the jar with your business card...they will return! (I don't know the laws in your state, but we can NOT call our honey 'organic'...so be careful). Nice problem to have!!! ;)

Edited to add...some honey sales helps keep you in bee equipment! You'll be buying an extractor before you know it...lol!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I hear you- I finally got a break for a week and flew back east to see family.

Couldn't pass up a queen rearing class at Betterbee though.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Yeah, winter is the best time to prepare for the following spring. When the snow is butt deep what else is there to do? I make my own hives as well too. Most is from scraps I gather from my building and remodeling business throughout the year.
Honey sales buys my bee packages and bottles.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The flow in north NJ hasn't slowed down either! I'm storing the honey for the time being and will be selling at the local open farm markets in the late summer and fall.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
...What the heck am I gonna do with all that honey? I never thought I'd be selling it this soon but I guess I will.
Honey never spoils. "Stash" some for the lean years. :)

I have miscellaneous bottles, jars and jugs that are ~20+ years old. It's interesting to note the difference in flavors and colors from year to year.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My son says to me yesterday " You really love your bees, don't you Dad?". I don't know that "love" is the right word but they are uniquely educational and fit so well with my life.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts