Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For any iphone users out there, we should create an app that replicates the hive inspection sheet (like the one that dadant uses). Any interest?

I don't see this as a money maker, just a really helpful utility. I tend to think many beeks aren't iphone users, but having 'an app for beeks' would be a nifty tool I think!

Regards,

Greg

·
Registered
723 Posts
Yea, I had a text come thru on my iphone today right after I got my gloves one. Could not get the phone on. Is it a heat thing?

I'd be up for an app...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Building an IPhone application is an extremely daunting task. I know, I lead a development team and the company asked for us to develop one. That was three months ago and we are still trying to find developers who can do it.

The better bet would to build a web app that is conducive to the size and function of an IPhone that the user can get to using the browser on the phone.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beetight looks like a good solution to eliminate the paper and be able to get the stuff into a database easier than transcribing it.

It's true - these smartphones won't work too well with gloves on. Kind of awkward if you have buttons to push, and impossible with the iphone unless you use a special finger shaped pointer.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I use Beetight all the time. It's a great site! The first 6 hives are free. If you want to add more, you pay a $15 per year fee and from there can add 1000 hives.

I use the notepad on my phone, discovered gloves don't work, then transfer data to Beetight. The setup is pretty slick.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
With the few hives I've had, I haven't felt the need to keep a notebook although it would have been a good idea. With the purchase of some new queens, and combining/spliting i have started to take notes. Beetight looks pretty neat... Does it allow to duplicate hive info to avoid entering the data over and over?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I reviewed the app (beetight.com). It seems like it's being improved soon - there's the paid version ($15/year) that looks to be adding some decent features. Right now, it looks to be in the early stages, but has some tools useful to track and record things going one.

The asset management portion (where you can track frames and other things going on) looks to be a good step toward automating what's what. I hope to see this thing grow.

I don't find it critical to have access while I'm out there, but being able to record what's going on easily and identify next steps would be a logical next step for this program - linking it to a todo list, along with regional dates and things going on, would be extremely helpful!

Cheers all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts