Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i stumbled across this video. i never seen it done this way before. are there any pros or cons to this method. seems to me that the queen will get slamed aginst the cage when he hits the package on the hive and all the syurp that is left in the can would soak the bees. on the bright side it got all the bees in the hive in one wack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a4a-Tw-qFI

·
Registered
508 Posts
To me that looks more time consuming and difficult not to mention silly.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I prefer to just set the opened package cage inside the super and hang the queen cage between the frames, come back in the morning and they are all out. Just remove the package shipping cage.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Silly to do it that way. It took way to long. If he was installing multiple packages he would have terrible drift(not to mention he installed the bees then moved the hive to a different location). He wrecked the cage(can be fixed). I hope not to many beekeepers use this method.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I wouldn't bang my queen around. Don't see why he didn't just pop the top, remove the can and queen then pull the side screen. Would have been just as quick.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Brenda has the right idea,:applause: easy on the bees and queen :gh:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I agree with Brenda. Unfortunately, my advice this past year with installing 12 packages was to remove the queen and the can and then bang the box to get the bees out. I had terrible drift and I would never do it that way again.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Get hive ready and in permanent location.

Spray package through screen with syrup/water mix.

Get package cover pried off.

Gently tap bottom of package on hard surface hard enough to dislodge bees off top.

Remove feeder can and queen then place package cover over package hole.

Put queen cage with candy exposed between center frames-screen down and candy hole slightly upward(easier for her to climb out because queens tend to go up better.

Shake some bees on top bars over queen(if they are sticky/wet enough they won't fly much and should stay together-don't over do the spray)

Put inner cover on hive

Place package cage(cage hole facing down over inner cover hole) with remaining bees over inner cover hole.

All bees that are alive will go inside in a short time.

If it is to cold and/or rainy place empty deep super around cage and put outer cover on top

Remove cage when empty and close up hive

Feed if neccassary(inside feeder or top feeder/pail/can/jar) and don't open for 1 week

·
Registered
723 Posts
He didn't do anything any worse than our queens experience during shipping. I'd guess they have even worse bumps and thumps on the road...

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Drift- bees flying to another hive instead of staying with the one you put them in.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Nice video, good presentation... as others have observed, more than one way to hive a package!

I don't use smoke, use sugar syrup spray. Remove feed can, queen package, spray more, then pour the package into the hive, install queen cage, and away they go.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I think it's an OK way to go. On the other hand, A friend removes the queen and can. The queen goes between the frames and the open box of bees is gently upended over over the hole in the inner cover. It takes awhile but they go down to their queen.

I Have been having great success by removing queen and can and dumping a cup of powdered sugar on the bees. Close up the box and roll them around thoroughly and let sit while the mites fall off. Then proceed as above. Note that this will have an effect on their ability to navigate (as would a sugar water spray) so don't leave a half box of bees out in the weather/cold. It's a big plus to start free of mites.

dickm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts