Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spoken with two people in the last month that have had their hives stolen. i was wondering what you do to prevent theft and what a person should do when a hive has been stolen. To whom would you report the theft? Can you insure your hives? Do you use cameras? Do you anchor your hives in a way that may prevent theft?

Thanks!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Call your home owners insurance policy company and ask them. Police. Branding your equipment Esp. Frames - somehow helps in recovery. About the only thing you can do to discourage I believe is provide a locked fence, perhaps a deer camera hidden and a video camera that's in plane sight.

You can insure your bees at a cost of $500 to $600 bucks with a specialized bee insurance company or you might shop around for home owners insurance for cheaper if your policy doesn't cover it. Might fall under some type of agriculture insurance as well.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Brand all your equipment, then have a template custom made of your logo or license/permit number and spray paint your id mark on the outside of your boxes. clearly mark them with large markings and they will be passed over in favor of other unmarked hives.

·
Banned
394 Posts
The day is coming where all field equipment will be microchipped to a GPS app.
I just cannot fit enough teenagers into my garage!

Cheers.

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts