Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched Billy Davis' video on making a hive box "the warm way". He used this term without any explanation that I caught. I hadn't heard it before. The one thing I can see is that the opening is in the side parallel to the frames instead of perpendicular like I normally see Langstroths setup. Is that what this is referring to? Or is it something else?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Warm way is the frames oriented parallel to the opening of the hive. Cold way is the frames perpendicular to the opening of the hive. The advantage to the warm way is the hive does not get as many drafts since wind has to cross against the "grain: (orientation) of the frames rather than blowing between all of the frames.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Warm way is the frames oriented parallel to the opening of the hive. Cold way is the frames perpendicular to the opening of the hive. The advantage to the warm way is the hive does not get as many drafts since wind has to cross against the "grain: (orientation) of the frames rather than blowing between all of the frames.
Just founds some other articles on it and read up some. Just threw me that I had never seen the term. Makes sense now that it is more common with the Nationals and square where you can orient either way as opposed to rectangular where you pretty much have to build it one way or the other. I did find a Langstroth guy that makes his stands and bottoms that way just so he can have the ease of access to the frames from the back. He didn't use the term, but now I see how it applies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts