Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The state Department of Agriculture has opened a criminal investigation into the destruction of several honey bee hives. The owner of the hives, Joey Smith, said he had about 100 hives stored at a landscaping company's tree farm until Thursday afternoon. (Fox Tampa) http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/33667274-story

·
Registered
442 Posts
Re: The state Department of Agriculture has opened a criminal investigation into the

How awful for him.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Re: The state Department of Agriculture has opened a criminal investigation into the

for 100 hives to be valued at 100,000 dollars is quite a bit. wish I could sell mine for $1000 dollars per hive. must have had insurance.

·
Registered
489 Posts

I hope they determine the responsible person and prosecute to the fullest extent possible. Then give the perpetrator the maximum sentence. But that's just me.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Loss of revenue plus fees to get them into California and the value of the hives and bees.

It's not just the value of lumber and bees.

·
Registered
139 Posts

The value is not determined just by what he could sell them for. It includes the full economic value which might look something like this:

Current sale value: $300.00 (just a guess - I don't know the market there)
Assume 3 years of production (could use a longer timeframe):
50 pounds of honey @ $8/lb = $440 + 5 lbs beeswax @ $8/lb = $40 === $440/yr x 3 years = $1320

Total economic value = $1620 - whatever appropriate costs should be applied. The costs are often based on favorable assumptions.

·
Registered
6 Posts

The value is not determined just by what he could sell them for. It includes the full economic value which might look something like this:

Current sale value: $300.00 (just a guess - I don't know the market there)
Assume 3 years of production (could use a longer timeframe):
50 pounds of honey @ $8/lb = $440 + 5 lbs beeswax @ $8/lb = $40 === $440/yr x 3 years = $1320

Total economic value = $1620 - whatever appropriate costs should be applied. The costs are often based on favorable assumptions.
This is the same way they do it in most other countries; if I were to be found at fault for hitting a truck carrying chickens, I don't just pay for those chickens that died, I pay for a few generations worth of cost that the guy is losing. Makes sense when it's your business.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts

A full, healthy, 2-deep box colony sold for $510 this last Spring, not $300.

This is the size colony that can be split into 4 strong nuc's, which sell for more than $127.50, which is 1/4th of $510. I've seen nuc's as high as $170 this year.

$1,000 is not so ridiculous when one calculates the labor cost in being a full-time beekeeper and the opportunity cost of fees & honey lost.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts

I would dissent, it is ridiculous, and heres why, average double deep price is 200 tops, while the numbers on income are great, they leave out expense. The average beekeeper than nets 200 a year per hive is way ahead of the game.

At 1000, those hives are worth more dead than alive. That is incentivizing losses. At that price there a re a lot of less scrupulous people who would buy hives and vandalize them themselves, maybe even after letting the bees die or selling them.

NO I am not saying this guy did, but when something is worth more destroyed than intact, you will get more destroyed.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

It's just about the replacement cost of the bees. If hives are available at $300 per then there is no real economic loss. Just buy replacement bees and equipment and continue. If the loss occurred during a time of major flow, pollination contracts, then maybe there would be a legitimate loss of income claim. But with this timing and bees available for purchase there is no loss of income. So his loss would bee less than $500 per hive.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts

I agree with lazybhoney and jbeshearse. It is very unlikely that his insurance policy would cover loss of income. Most likely assuming he has coverage it would be for replacement cost. Just go out and buy some more and carry on. It is very unfortunate that someone did that to those bees. Shame on them.

Jean-Marc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts