Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a almost unknown device for us but which is of a common use in every russian apiary

the "Scion" - (Привой и роевня)

it is a trap or a shelter to catch the swarm as early as possible without (may be) climbing trees.

Can you find it here on the plan?

There are many "designs" but it is commonly settled not far and in front of the hives entrances , one or several of them according to the size of the apiary

The traditional model is a 20-30 cm wide and 30-40 cm plank with one cleat fixed vertically in the middle , more or less rolled with burlap and coated with
alcoholic solution of propolis and flavoured with essential oils (lemongrass, etc.)

as on this blog

the "scion" is then hanged at around 2 to 2,5 m high.

It seems to work !

and the use of one or more old frame is not forbidden

or an old propolised burlap

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
For years I kept a propolis/wax soaked burlap bag hanging in front of my hives about 8 feet off the ground. Over the years, it caught several swarms, and stayed there until it rotted away.

Then when I started selling nucs about 2001 I did not replace it because my hives are split so often they don't get large enough to swarm any more. It is a good idea.

cchoganjr

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
shannonswyatt... Not really. I had it in addition to swarm boxes set out.

It has an advantage of getting a fat queen that cannot fly very far to stop in an area where she and the swarm can be seen. But, it needs to be checked about every day to see if a swarm has settled on it.

Sometimes swarms are difficult to spot if they are in trees, honeysuckly or blackberry vines, And if they do settle on your burlap bag, you still have to put them in a box. In a swarm box they go in on their own and all you have to do is add frames and wait for the queen to lay a few eggs, then move to where you want them.

It is just one more tool to help you in the event one of your hives swarms, or a neighbor's hive swarms and comes looking at yours.

cchoganjr

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am getting ready to make 3 splits from my Italian hives so I can introduce 3 Russian queens. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. How often do Russians swarm?
Ketuel

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Interesting... I like the concept. Trying to decide if it's less of a hassle than just doing a swarm trap, I wouldn't have a hive tied up this way and certainly easier to build... My hives aren't really in an area that people are checking frequently enough to make this feasible probably. I'd have to talk with the landowners into checking daily which in some cases wouldn't be a problem.
My initial thought is that this should be almost a hood ornament for anyone with a top bar hive. :)

I need to see if that little girl has any free time to help me build one or two. Can't get my kids of the computers!
Better get that under control! :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you so much. :). I bought some requeening frames & push in frames to try. Have you tried either of these? which do you prefer?
I think the queens are coming in those funny looking plastic cages. I also have a muff to try.
With all your experience, which breed of bees do you like best & why.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you so much. After tomarrow, I'll have my orignal 2 Italian hives and 3 Russian.
Mites & hive beetles are really bad here in the south. I just got a Oxalic Acid Vaporizer. This thing is a miracle.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Interesting... I like the concept. Trying to decide if it's less of a hassle than just doing a swarm trap, I wouldn't have a hive tied up this way and certainly easier to build... My hives aren't really in an area that people are checking frequently enough to make this feasible probably. I'd have to talk with the landowners into checking daily which in some cases wouldn't be a problem.
My initial thought is that this should be almost a hood ornament for anyone with a top bar hive. :)

You don't have to catch the swarm every time they land on it. It just makes it easier to find if you are there at that time before they swarm off somewhere else. They are going to sit somewhere limb, bush, etc anyway. If your not there at that time same as if you didn't have it. If it's on days your there woohoo. I'd keep the swarm trap idea going, but the scion could make sure you get them not a nice tree with a hollow hole.
I think it's worth a shot and pretty neat.
Thanks to the thread starter. DocBB

1 - 20 of 43 Posts