Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is how you really do the pollination.
Notice, this is not even a beekeeping channel.
This is a channel of some berry growing operation and so they are invested in the berries, not the bees.
So this is the real-deal pollination using the local insects, not migratory honey bees.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll be darned, it turns out some people actually harvest the cocoons and sell them!
So other people can buy and place these cocoons near their own crops AND set out the prepared "bee hives" for the next season of pollination.
Pretty slick.
So this is how the pollination can be really done - not moving the heavy boxes, but rather just some "straw bales".
Looks simple and easy.
I would not even bother with shaking the cocoons out but just sell the entire "bee hives" as whole.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
“We’ve determined that continuation of the program is not financially feasible. In addition, we were unable to consistently achieve the level of female replication needed to make the program successful.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it is not "yes" or "no", but rather inconclusive in their particular setting.
They failed, but it really remains to be seen.

But when people are buying a full-blown bee hive so to pollinate their backyard patch (happens all the time) - they are much better off with just hanging about few bunches of tied up canes.
Like here:

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
they are much better off with just hanging about few bunches of tied up canes.
agreed, the "backyard pollination" and "save the bees" types are much better served with native pollinators

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is an example - look at 9:00 how the natural canes are well plugged up BUT just below them the plastic holes are unused.
So who knows what exactly the almond growers did in their testing, but their failure is not a resounding NO. Not to me.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have a couple of paw paw trees, they are very common in the woods here. They produce a yellow fruit that looks kind of like a green banana and tastes like custard. Their flowers smell like rotten meat and their main pollinators are flies and carrion beetles.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts