Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somehow I lost my Queen. No eggs or larva. I had several Queen cells, so I thought I would be OK. 2 weeks later, no eggs or brood. I ordered a new Queen. Should be here this week. Do I still have time or will all bees be dead before queen can get going? Guessing that I have 6 lbs of bees. Unfortunately, I started with 1 hive. No brood frames to borrow from.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I'm in the same situation. My hive superceded and I had queen cells three weeks ago. Checked yesterday,,,,,no queen, only a little capped brood. I suspected this might happen so I ordered two queens. Supposed to be here last week. Hoping tomorrow. I can't speak for Ark,,,,I'm pretty sure I have time to get them rollin for winter.
good luck

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
You had a queen within the previous 2 weeks of finding a capped queen cell. If you still have capped worker brood you still you had a queen within 3 weeks or so. They will probably be fine once you get a new queen in there. Unless you get a laying worker.:D

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
saw queen cell, two weeks later, no eggs/brood so ordered queen....

A just capped queen cell won't emerge for another 8 days,
Won't be mated and laying for another 10 to 14 days on the early side,
could be 21 days or longer... that makes 3 weeks at least, could be 4,
so you may have a queen in there. If you've got a queen in there, your
purchased queen might get dispatched in her cage. Are you sure
there's no queen?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Clearly, you will have a gap in the laying, brood pattern till the new queen becomes comfortable enough to start laying. Your worker bees will be fine until the new queen arrives.

Get the queen into the hive in her cage as quickly as possible. Release her after about 4-5 days and all should go well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I am more confused. Took advice below and checked 1 last time for brood before new queen arrives. Pulled frame and now have larva. Must have missed the eggs last time. Many of the caps are raised. I am assuming that these are drone? How can I tell if I have a laying worker? New queen should arrive any day. Help!

·
Registered
368 Posts
You say 'many' of the caps are raised.... about how many? Half? Most? Everything that you can really see?

If you have a laying worker, ALL the capped brood should be raised. Workers can't lay regular worker eggs.

I suppose if you have a lot of drone brood but some normal brood, you might have a poorly mated queen who dosn't have enough stored sperm to fertilize all the eggs she thinks she's fertilizing.

Also, I've read that newly mated queens take a few days to figure things out, so what you're seeing could be just from her 'testing' days.

Bottom line is that SOMEBODY is laying eggs, and the bees have accepted her as queen. You're gonna have a fun time getting your new queen accepted if that's what you want to do.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks much different than before. Irregular pattern of brood, mostly uncapped larva. What is capped looked raised. I guess I have either a poorly laying queen or a worker laying drones, Correct?

If it is a queen, I will need to find and kill her, right?

If it is a worker, can I uncork the new queen as normal or will I have to follow instructions in the Dummy book?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Take what I say with a grain of salt, since this is my first year too, but I've been reading books and forums like crazy, and will offer advice until more experienced minds chime in.

From what you're saying, it sounds like a laying worker. Best proof would be if you could actually see eggs--worker's butts aren't as long as a real queens, so the eggs will be on the sides of the cells, not centered nicely on the bottom.

But laying worker or bad queen--it wont make a difference. The bees still think she's queen, and MOST accounts I've read say that means they'll reject the new queen. Some people say you can just put in the cage as normal, but I'd keep the cork in a few days and come back to see if they're balling her. Maybe do that, and if they're still acting like the LW is queen, then do the shake.

Best of luck...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ark-what happen with the hive? I had a simarlar situation in one of my hives. It appeared to have turned into a "man cave" I didn't want to re-queen as it was the beginning of July and I felt that there wasn't much time left for the flow.

I lost that colony.

How about you?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Checked hive today with experienced brother-in-law. Saw small amount of brood and looked like some caped workers. Still allot of drone though. Planning to replace with new queen if it ever arrives. BIL thinks I have a weak queen. I am not having alto of luck with supplier. Very little feed back on delivery and gets annoyed if you call. Queen was suppose to be delivered last week but not shipped yet. Didn't have a problem debiting my account. BIL and I are buying 5 hives tomorrow. I hope to pick up and reset after dark.

·
Registered
457 Posts
If you really need on quick, there are several members selling queens in the For Sale section here. I think they can all be trusted to get you a queen quick. Tarheit even once mailed me some before I had a chance to mail him the check.

Pugs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts