Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First timer here!

I was wondering if I could get some advice on selling my honey. I gave a lot away and now those same people say they will buy more from me. I have no idea what to ask for my honey so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

One more thing!
I put my supers back on the hives after extracting but left one too long and now they have begun storing a bit of honey in some of the frames. How do I get it out so that I can store for the winter? I tried setting the box several feet away from the hive thinking they would come and take it- they did not.

Thank you,
Littlebreeze

·
Registered
737 Posts
Prices very by location!
Were in the USA are you?

Put the suppers back on and let them fill it.
If you have undrawn frames place a few of them in and they should fill the drawn frames first.

I put some back on last year and they refilled them and we harvested it in early spring.

Welcome to Beesource

·
Registered
421 Posts
there are numerous threads here you can search for about prices -- and you'll immediately see that prices vary a great deal by locality.
Also, the bee journals have monthly regional price summaries.

Ultimately it is up to you to decide...my decision is that about $10 a pound is a minimum price if you are handling the sales.

Three approaches:
(1) Value: think what high quality local natural honey is worth compared to most supermarket honey. Does it taste better, might it be better for you?
(2) Cost of production: what would your break even price be for bees/equipment/courses/conferences/beekeeping/extracting/bottling/etc.?
(3) Supply and demand...how soon will you sell out at a particular price?
(Some report that higher prices improve sales, some not.) Once you've sold out you won't have any to meet early Spring demand.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I get $10 a pound and sell out every year. Im not going to raise my prices as $10 is just as easy for me as it is for the customers. All my honey sells to repeat customers and word of mouth, this year for the fun of it I posted on Craigslist and never got a hit!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts