Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In eastern NC we're still having cool days then mild days, then cool, etc. My little nuc is full and the bees are really busy outside (for some reason). I've put frames with honeycomb out for them (and for bees from the other 2 hives), so I'm wondering: is this OK? I'm guessing I can't put the nuc's frames into a deep? The queen (1 I added last Aug-Sept) should've shut down by now. I don't want them to become honey-bound, etc. or excess space, either.

Any suggestions and/or recommendations? Maybe leave well enough alone until late winter/early spring?Thx much ....

Mitch

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Mitch, leave well enough alone for now. Plan on getting them into a 10 frame deep around the end of Feb. I have one nuc that is nine frames of bees (double deep 5 over 5). I want to get them in a hive so bad but am forcing myself to wait since they are in a perfect configuration right now. Manipulations during the winter seem like a really bad idea.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would wait. Nothing but trouble will come from disturbing a 5 over 5 configuration now. When the Maples are blooming you are good to go them as long as the temps cooperate and rain is not too frequent.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
In my area, leaving a five frame nuc jammed full in winter holds them back from developing into a full hive as winter ends. I move them into deeps so that they have comb to expand onto. Here, with some eucalyptus blooming, a strong nuc moved into a bigger box will even draw wax foundaton in January. Weather permitting.

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Sounds like good advice Ollie, for someone living in San Mateo. Here on the east coast, the OP won't see red maple pollen until the end of Feb. That is pretty much the earliest we can start moving things around.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Sounds like good advice Ollie, for someone living in San Mateo. Here on the east coast, the OP won't see red maple pollen until the end of Feb. That is pretty much the earliest we can start moving things around.
It is 68 degrees today in Pitt Carolina. the OP said "My little nuc is full and the bees are really busy outside (for some reason)." What are those bees doing outside? I clearly said "in my area, weather permitting". I thought NC had some southern influence? There is nothing blooming?

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Maybe a weed here or there. There are claims of some pollen coming in from unknown sources. (Now I know why pollen feeder is so active!) But for the most part, we have nada. I'm about 100 or so miles north of Mitch but was in NC just two weeks ago. Other than a stray dandelion, we wont have a thing until the daffodils push up. Our really cold weather is still to come so bad idea to start rearranging the house just yet. You are right that he and I will both need to be on top of our stronger nucs or there will be trouble

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
mlanden; When you say you put frames of honey out for them did you mean that you are open feeding with frames of honey? I would watch the entrances for evidence of attempted robbing. As odfrank said, when there is flying weather the bees will be flying. Any hive configuring should have been done in October, then let them alone so they can organize their brood area and food stores.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thx a million, guys, for the insights/ideas. I'll let The Girls alone for now. It's my 1st winter with a nuc, so ... a tad shaky about how to go.

Re: blooming plants: my tea bush is blooming nicely and the bees're all over it. Ditto for the sweet-breath-of-spring. Sparse otherwise, so I guess the bees're mostly just gathering dregs. Better something than nothing.

Mitch

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Howdy, AR; I've not seen any robbing behavior when I put a honeycomb frame out (from time-to-time). That doesn't mean it hasn't/can't happen, I know. From the outside, everything's sweetness and light with my 2 hives and the 1 nuc. May take a peek today, mostly just to see if there're any SHB's to squash. I wouldn't go rearranging frames or anything like that, for now ....

Mitch

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Never having kept bees in NC, I could be wrong. But your temps today are 47°-71°. You have Melaluca and others blooming. Here it is 39°- 54° today. Winter solstice is behind us, we are on the upswing. Here I have many times in January moved 5 frame nucs into ten frame hives and was glad I did. Are you expecting your weather to seriously decline in January and February? I know that is hard to forecast. But just adding space to a nuc is not re-arranging it. It is giving it expansion room it can use if needed. I think the other guys are being too conservative with their advice.

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Ollie, you are at least open to what happens here. Yes, our weather goes to crap mid Jan. through Feb. After that, March is hit or miss. Winter in the southeast may only really last 6 weeks, but it is typically going to get serious in another week or so. Feb. is when we normally will see our worst snow, at least here in Richmond, and it is from storms that come through NC first. If Mitch has an empty 5 frame box and drawn comb, he could put it UNDER the existing box to give them more room without disturbing the current arrangement. I would not put anything between the bees and the food supply. Yeah, it is shorts and tee shirt weather today, who knows what it will be like in a week or two.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Is there an unspoken suggestion within this thread that bees don't start brooding up heavily until new pollen starts coming into the hive?

Alex

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
I don't know about that. There sure won't be any additional bees for a few weeks, and there will continue to be some attrition, so space at least for the next month won't be an issue. Once he has more than a small patch of capped brood, it will be time to reevaluate and consider moving. My guess is that will be about 8 weeks from now. Maybe 6 since Mitch is farther south. With pollen sub and 1:1, last year my hives were packed with bees by April 1st, as in I made 5 splits off of just one hive and two from another that was not as strong. And we all know what a lousy cold wet spring we had.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts